cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Problems with the NPM Upgrade to 11.5.2?

Hi everyone,

Trying to upgrade the NPM form 11.0.1 to 11.5.2 failed in the stage of database configuration (configuration wizard) with the error:

Database configuration failed:
•  Error while executing script- There is already an object named 'CcmPhonesDupIDs' in the database.

No other option available except Finish button which let me with no access to Orion website.

Anyone sharing the same issue?

(My installation includes NPM, NTA, NCM, UDT, VNQM)

Already opened a case in technical support, waiting for a solution to be delivered.

Thank you and regards,

Catalin Apostol

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Level 8

Hi Catalin,

This can be solved relatively quickly; saw and had similar issues in the past.

You first need to open the Configuration Wizard log file, and see exactly the step the wizard fails, in order to see what CcmPhonesDupIDs really is (column, judging by the name).

Open SQL Server Management Studio, connect to the slq instance and expand the DB, and expand the DB till you'll reach to the object causing the issue.

As I believe you've already backed up your DB, delete it, and run the config wizard again.

Let me know should you need more info.

Thanks,

Radu

Level 10

try testing upgrade in our testlab  from 10.7 to 11.5.2  upgrade went fine but all the additional poller all look like they are running but when you look at the polling engines they all report as being down.  Nothing obvious in the event log, have case open with support nothing.  we also have NCM 7.3 and NTA 4.0.1.  It looks like NTA is still receiving flows from device on poller reporting as down. 

0 Kudos
Level 17

The other option is to edit the dbconfig file for the module/problem area and comment out the troublesome section (this way you don't lose any data either).

0 Kudos
Level 12

did we get a solution from solarwinds for this?  I am about fed-up of solarwinds upgrades failing, though it should not be a shock any more...

0 Kudos
Level 17

I never opened a case b/c I was able to find a workaround.  Probably should have so they know and can track.

0 Kudos
Level 12

what exactly did you do to edit out the issue?  mine is hanging on VoipDatabaseScheme.dbconfig file

0 Kudos
Level 17

what is specific issue, can you post screenshot or put txt here?
basically, I take the specific column/table name and search the dbconfig file for the column name.  I commented those lines for the specific column and ran the config wiz.again.

sometime, i have to rinse and repeat a time or two past the first error, but will get through it.

0 Kudos
Level 12

hey thanks for the reply...    I have a feeling it is actually doing something on the DB server as I can see one of the cores spiking...  but there is no way to know how far it has got through or if it will even complete....    been going for 50 minutes so far on this single step...

I can see on the wizard log that netflow has finished and I think APM was before that so this is the last stage.,  I have seen installs fail on voip module in the past too, I would have thought SW would have gotten on top of it by now.,..

error.jpg

0 Kudos
Level 17

last comment waiting on moderator...PM me

0 Kudos
Level 17

I had to run through this several times myself, b/c I thought same thing...50min is a VERY LONG time for one section...I'd love to see better progress indicators to let you know its still working.

I killed it a few times before I finally just let it run and it took almost 2 hrs for that one config file to process.

there are a lot of variables to how long it takes...obviously, if IPSLA/VNQM is heavy hitting, it will take quite a while.  I have ICMP checks going every 30 seconds on maybe 225 connections for customer WAN connectivity.

I hope that helps.  I'll be online for a while tonight b/c I have a change in 3hrs and it will probably take an hour or so.

PM me if you'd like and you can get in touch with me directly tonight if you get stuck.

Another trick is to see if the config wiz logs are updating (maybe even set to info/debug) to verify still working actively.

0 Kudos
Level 10

We are having the same issue. Tried to upgrade today and it failed in the same place. Is there any answer out there?

0 Kudos
Level 13

I'm supposed to upgrade today to attempt a fix that was similar to that. I tried a config wiz on the website and that ended up failing at the last minute.. we'll see how this goes >.>

0 Kudos

sounds scary... I will monitor this thread as I have this upgrade planned for the next week

0 Kudos
Level 13

We upgraded from 11.0.1 to 11.5.2 on 6/15 and it went smoothly. Hope you figure out the issue.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Did you get a solution for your issue?  If you did what was it?

Thanks.

0 Kudos