cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Problem Monitoring Virtual Servers Using ESX - Net-SNMP

Jump to solution

I realize there are numerous other threads regarding issues viewing virtual servers running on ESX, but I haven't been able to find anything for my exact issue. We have 7 ESX servers. Several of them display the individual virtual server statistics perfectly like they are supposed to. The others show up as a normal physical server with no virtual server information at all.

I've double-checked all of the views By Device Type stuff and it is set correctly. I believe the problem has something to do with Net-SNMP, but I'm not certain. The Machine Type for the boxes that aren't working shows up as net-snmp Linux. The Machine Type for the ones that are working is VMware ESX Server.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that SNMP may need to be udpated on the physical server itself. Can anyone verify? If so, can someone point me to directions on how to do this?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

The MIBS we used for 3.5 support are no longer populated in 4.0.  So we are going to be changing our implementation to get at this data in an upcoming release, see this thead

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Level 8

Have you tried re-start the SNMP service on the ESX hosts that you didn't see the VMs in Orion?

Have you verified that those VMs also have the proper SNMP credentials?

Have you tried re-start the SNMP service on the ESX hosts that you didn't see the VMs in Orion?

Have you verified that those VMs also have the proper SNMP credentials?

SNMP is definitely running on most of the VMs. I haven't restarted the SNMP service on any of them, but I can look into that.

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

0 Kudos

I have also found that ESXi does not support snmp, if I remember right.

0 Kudos

Update! Good news...we restarted snmp on one of them running ESX3 and that worked. Were still working on the others.

So, is the problem with ESX 4 due to programming within Orion or are the MIBS that VMware uses all jacked up?

0 Kudos

The MIBS we used for 3.5 support are no longer populated in 4.0.  So we are going to be changing our implementation to get at this data in an upcoming release, see this thead

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Just to note, ESXi DOES support SNMP Gets, it just needs configuring using the remoteCLI.

To enable it you just need to run the following from RemoteCLI;

vicfg-snmp.pl --server yourservername --username yourusername --password yourpassword -c yourcommunitystring

Then to enable the service;

vicfg-snmp.pl --server yourservername -E

Unfortunately it doesn't give you a heck of a lot, you can see the vmknics and that's about it. I'm assuming this is a problem either with the limited amount of info vmware provide on snmp or that my Orion MIB.cfg doesn't have translations yet for ESXi.

It's still useful I guess to see that the hosts ports are up...

0 Kudos

Hi Again,

Just ran an SNMP-Walk on a test host using the method I showed and it does actually show up all the VM's running on the box. I'm guessing that once Solarwinds upgrade the MIB.cfg to reflect the new OID's then we'll be in business!

Sean.

0 Kudos

I should really finish testing before posting!

Just viewed the ESXi host in Orion and can confirm that the ESX View seems to work perfectly, shows all vm's running on the host!!!!!!!

0 Kudos

Kinda - It supports traps only

0 Kudos

We monitor ESX 3.5 with no trouble. However, there are large issues with 4.0, at vmware's fault.

0 Kudos

How can you say the fault is with VMware? SolarWinds being a partner should have tested this early on. I had the betas/RCs for 6 months before it came out. That should have given SolarWinds plenty of time to test NPM 9.5 with ESX 4. vSphere was released in May and many other monitoring solutions came out immediately or within a couple of weeks. 5 months and nothing from SolarWinds. We have been holding off on our migration based on the fact that our monitoring will not work. All I want is for someone to say it will be this year, or next!!!!!

0 Kudos

We were not very happy about this either.  Reason I point at VMWare is they chose with ESX 4 to quit populating those SNMP values.  However, I understand your frustration and desire to get this addressed as soon as possible, you don’t care who is responsible.  We did work with them, but by the time we found out about the change on their side, it was too late in the release for us to address as changing the implementation from gathering that data from SNMP to their API is not a trivial amount of work.  We released NPM 9.5 at the end of May and have been working on Service Packs for 9.5 and items for the next release.  We are working to get these items knocked out as quickly with the highest quality we can.

0 Kudos

> We monitor ESX 3.5 with no trouble. However, there are large issues with 4.0, at vmware's fault.

Ditto.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

What version of ESX are they running?  Is there any differences in version?

0 Kudos

What version of ESX are they running?  Is there any differences in version?

The two ESX servers that are showing up correctly are running ESX 3.0.1 & 3.5.0. The four that are not are 3i, 3 & two that are running 4. I'm trying to get more information from the guys that built them about differences.

0 Kudos

4 is for sure not going to work well, VMWare changed things up on what is available via SNMP, this is something we are working on.  There is  another thwack thread on this I can send you.  

0 Kudos