cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Printer Poller Issue

Jump to solution

Hi

I have set up a Universal Device Poller for HP printers which reports the current message on the printer display. The OID is 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.9.1.1.3.0, MIB is set to raw data, SNMP is set to GET, polling is type node and status is enabled. 

When I assigned this poller I did a test against the HP printers and it returned the values as expected, as in the following screen grab:

However the data on my orion website isnt updated:

As you can see from the screen grab one shows the status (but over a day old) and the others show nothing.

I am using NPM v9.5.

Does anyone know why this could be?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Hi Yann

I trawled through the \Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\NPM.BusinessLayer.log and there was indeed an entry about the pollers. The error stated "Input string was not in a correct format". I then changed the format to text and it is now working ok.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 15

Hi,

You probably have some issues with the JobScheduler/JobEngine/Module Engine services...

Do you see some fatal errors in the below files?

\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\NPM.BusinessLayer.log

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\JobEngine\Logs\

SolarWinds.JobEngineService_vX_Y.txt

SolarWinds.SchedulingService_vV_W.txt

SWJobEngineWorker_vX_Y_JOBID_[....].log

 

If you need help to analyze them, feel free to open a support ticket or to post your questions here.

HTH,

Yann

0 Kudos

Hi Yann

I trawled through the \Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\NPM.BusinessLayer.log and there was indeed an entry about the pollers. The error stated "Input string was not in a correct format". I then changed the format to text and it is now working ok.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

5-stars self-solved issue :), thanks for sharing the solution.

I suppose it is far easier once you know where errors are logged.

I detailed further log files in this post if you're interested:

0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip, I will take a look! 🙂

0 Kudos