This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Pre provisioning large amount of nodes into Solarwinds NPM & NCM

Hi,

I was hoping somebody could help advise me on adding a large number of switches to Orion even before they are added to the network. So basically I am involved in a project which is deploying over 2000 switches throughout the area at about 1100 different locations. It is planned to have 20 switches brought online a day for 55 days straight and obviously I do not have the time to manually add each switch as it comes online. I would like to pre add all of these switches into Orion, and to appear up as soon as they are reachable. The only way I have found to add a large amount of switches at once is with Network Discovery but this will only add the switch once it has been discovered and I do not want to have to go into the discovery and add the switches as they are discovered. I would like to have all these switches added into Orion and the IPs monitored and just shown as down until they are reachable. Additionally I would like all these switches added into NCM, to allow me to grab a configuration from them, once they come online.

Thank you for your time and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Just added approx. 500 to NPM about a month ago doing the following:  added each IP address as a loopback address on a layer 3 switch.  SolarWinds was able to ping the devices.  Added a host file with the IPs and hostnames on SolarWinds server.  Created a discovery and added the devices successfully (since IPs were pingable by virtue of being interfaces on my switch).

I created a custom property to assign to these nodes and created a group status report telling me what percent responding.  Also a report for which responded/ which did not.

Not sure what you would have to do for NCM.

• Hey!

Thanks for the great reply that sounds like an excellent work around but unfortunately I looked into doing this and it won't work on my network because we already have all the routing setup and adding a bunch of loopback addresses may cause issues with production traffic, if I try to reroute traffic.

I was hoping Solarwinds NPM would have a way to allow me to do this.

• Cisco's passive interface feature may be useful to avoid routing issues if you were to go with this approach.