This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Polling Server 800 Miles Away

Hi all,

I haven't been able to find any documentation on this.  We have our main instance of Orion/Solarwinds in California.  We have another data center in Arizona.  I've installed another instance of NPM in AZ, and we'd like to be able to view everything in AZ from the server in CA.  How do I set this up?  I think I have to tell the server in AZ that it's just a Polling Engine, but I don't see where that's set.  Many thanks!

• If you want to make it a poller ONLY then you need a license for that. The additional poller that is. You may consider using your licensing for the application to run redundancy - though it is tricky until they move past the FoE model that is currently in place now.

But for a large displacement as you have I think you may want a distributed poller setup, and use each site to poll internally and possibly externally for a bigger picture when things break in between.

All talk is in theory, we have separate DC's but not that much distance.  All our stuff sits in one place right now - we will be moving to a distributed poller setup with the new version we put in place.

• Yes, we already have the license, but can't see any of the nodes from our CA installation.  I can from the AZ one.  We also have two DB servers.

• it's all in the data flow - log shipping i think is the recommended way to keep your DB's in sync.        Are these still two separate SW installs, or a single Application Install - and if so where is the app?

Do you have a support case open? I would say, at least get with your sales rep/engineer for recommendation if you have not already.

• I just opened one.  I'll return here with the answer once I hear from them.  Thanks again.