This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Polling Engine Usage Resource?

I am curious, is there a way to get a resource on our NOC view that shows the polling engine usage?  I am unable to find anything canned, but I do find canned alerts.  I think usage may be helpful in some environments where you have multiple polling engines and many people making changes to keep track of capacity.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• I spent a bit in the db just now and threw this together based on info that's in the Engines table. I've seen a similar resource that other folks have probably written better, when I have more time I will see if I can locate one of them. This won't give you a percent usage per se, I may be able to add that later, but it will give you totals of how many nodes, interfaces, and volumes there are, plus a bit of info on how the health of the poller is overall.

Hope that helps!

SELECT ServerName

,IP

,Nodes

,Interfaces

,Volumes

,PollingCompletion

,MinutesSinceKeepAlive,

CASE

WHEN PollingCompletion < 98 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Serious.png'

WHEN PollingCompletion > 98 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Check.png'

END AS [_IconFor_PollingCompletion]

,CASE

WHEN MinutesSinceKeepAlive > 2 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Serious.png'

WHEN MinutesSinceKeepAlive <2 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Check.png'

END AS [_IconFor_MinutesSinceKeepAlive]

,'/Orion/Admin/Details/Engines.aspx' as [_Linkfor_ServerName]

FROM Orion.Engines

ORDER BY ServerName

Nathan Hejnicki

Loop1 Systems

• Nathan, thank you for your quick reply!  I am amazed that you are able to draw up something so quickly.  Unfortunately, this will not give me the required information.  There is an existing canned resource called "Polling Engine Status" that provides similar info, but my issue is finding an easy way of identifying the polling rate percentage.  Thanks for trying!

• I threw that together on a lunch break. Let me get home this evening and play with our lab environment, I'm willing to bet I can get the polling rate percentage you are looking for, but I'll update you as I find out.

Nathan Hejnicki

Loop1 Systems

• I'm still working on it a bit, but I can tell you that the number you're looking for is in the Orion.EngineProperties namespace, the propertyname is "Orion.Standard.Polling" and the propertyvalue is the number you're after. Given that it's in a different table and i'm still working on the joins and such, it's proving a bit of a pain to finalize the query, but if you've a SWQL mind, you can work on it and probably get there before me.

Nathan Hejnicki

Loop1 Systems

• You can try this, but the lab I'm working in only has the one poller so if you have multiples, it may or may not work, but should be a good starting point.

SELECT ServerName

,IP

,Nodes

,Interfaces

,Volumes

,PollingCompletion

,MinutesSinceKeepAlive

,(Select propertyvalue from orion.engineproperties where propertyname='orion.standard.polling') as [_Poller_Utilization]

,CASE

WHEN PollingCompletion < 98 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Serious.png'

WHEN PollingCompletion > 98 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Check.png'

END AS [_IconFor_PollingCompletion]

,CASE

WHEN MinutesSinceKeepAlive > 2 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Serious.png'

WHEN MinutesSinceKeepAlive <2 THEN '/Orion/images/ActiveAlerts/Check.png'

END AS [_IconFor_MinutesSinceKeepAlive]

,'/Orion/Admin/Details/Engines.aspx' as [_Linkfor_ServerName]

FROM Orion.Engines

ORDER BY ServerName

• I get Error: A query to the SolarWinds Information Service failed. when running that, but then again I have multiples.  I'll see if I can make it work, but I'm no SQL/SWQL guy.  Thanks for all your help!

• pastedImage_0.png

create a custom query resource on your NOC view and add this to it

Select ServerType, Servername, IP, Elements, Nodes, Interfaces, Volumes,PollingCompletion  FROM Orion.Engines

pastedImage_1.png

use this query to see other stats you can display

SELECT AvgCPUUtil, BusinessLayerPort, CompanyName, CustomerID, Description, DisplayName, Elements, EngineID, EngineVersion, EvalDaysLeft, Evaluation, FailOverActive, FIPSModeEnabled, InstanceSiteId, InstanceType, InterfacePollInterval, Interfaces, InterfaceStatPollInterval, IP, KeepAlive, LicensedElements, LicenseKey, MaxPollsPerSecond, MaxStatPollsPerSecond, MemoryUtil, MinutesSinceFailOverActive, MinutesSinceKeepAlive, MinutesSinceRestart, MinutesSinceStartTime, MinutesSinceSysLogKeepAlive, MinutesSinceTrapsKeepAlive, NodePollInterval, Nodes, NodeStatPollInterval, PackageName, Pollers, PollingCompletion, PrimaryServers, Restart, SerialNumber, ServerName, ServerType, ServicePack, StartTime, StatPollInterval, SysLogKeepAlive, TrapsKeepAlive, Uri, VolumePollInterval, Volumes, VolumeStatPollInterval, WindowsVersion FROM Orion.Engines

• Thank you for your reply, however unfortunately this is not what I am looking for.  I am looking for the Polling Rate of each polling engine that can be obtained from here:

./Orion/Admin/Details/Engines.aspx

• SELECT

CASE

WHEN PollingUsage.CurrentUsage < 75 THEN 'OK'

WHEN PollingUsage.CurrentUsage > 75 THEN 'Warning'

END AS [STATUS],

Engines.DisplayName AS [POLLER],

PollingUsage.ScaleFactor AS [Polling Engine],

PollingUsage.CurrentUsage AS [% of Max Rate]

FROM Orion.PollingUsage

INNER JOIN Orion.Engines ON PollingUsage.EngineID=Engines.EngineID

ORDER BY PollingUsage.CurrentUsage DESC