This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Polling Completion Question

My question is relatively simple. Does the polling completion metric reflect the servers ability to complete polls strictly due to its resource availability (ie. the server has enough processor time, memory, etc. resources to do it job) or does it reflect the percentage of nodes that are able to be successfully polled (in other words - all nodes that are able to respond to my polling request did or did not reply during the last poll interval)?

The reason I ask is because I have seen some moments where my polls were 99.xx% successful but not 100%, and during that relative time frame the server didn't seem to be starving for any resources. If it is the latter - great - no problem. If it is the former, well what would I start looking at for a possible cause?

pastedImage_1.png

• Hi,

there is a KB-article which provide some good information about this page: Optimize polling engines - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Polling completion is the rate of polls across all polling engines completed without the need to delay polls. This value should be around 100. If you experience significant declines, verify that your Orion Server meets the memory and CPU requirements.

From my experience if your polling completion time drops to 99.xx% from time to time its nothing to worry about. If its on a constant level or fairly frequently you should consider adjusting the polling intervals of the nodes/interfaces/statistics the poller is responsible for or re-distribute some nodes to other pollers.

Best Regards

Rene