This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Parent Dynamic Query

We, like most I guess, use custom properties heavily.

So here's our setup before I ask my question:

To stop project and change engineers from creating havoc they all have two accounts to access Solarwinds. a 'read-only' one which allows them access to most parts but not to making changes. Then they also have a 2nd account which gives them more rights but only to a specific sub-section (a group if you will) of the environment.

We also have a clear guidance / process document that tells them how to manage / import etc but like most project & change folks they don't like to read or remember process and less likely follow it [no offence meant to any here that do - just our experience is they don't]. A part of that import process is that they must set the client_site CP or they will lose visibility of that kit.

So... with that in mind, to my question:

Is there a way to create a dynamic query that essentially sits "over the top" of all other queries that says IF client_name IS [empty] assign to group STAGING - where staging is one of the pre set group names that they do have access to.

• Unfortunately the dynamic group rules dont allow for nulls or empty rows. The way I worked around this in the past was to write an alert that takes all the nodes that have client site equal to '' or empty and have the alert action set the property to your placeholder. Then you can just set their account restriction to group of groups and check the boxes for their normal group plus the unknowns. Taking that idea a step further, any properties that are really important I just use rules to set them, solid a given site has a specific subnet I just tag them automatically through these alert rules. Can be a bit of a chore to set up initially but once they are done its really nice to not have to worry about the properties being wrong or empty anymore.
  • Hmmm, thanks Marc.

I'm going to have to give this one some more thought - unfortunately I don't see rules / queries based on subnets working for us due to clients on different APE's having similar or same subnets.

• Do you have an ape designated to each client? Could factor the polling engine into the logic.
    It's usually enough of a chore to figure the rules out for a single environment, I'm sure its even more challenging in a shared type of setup.
  • Not for every client, no. The larger clients tend to have their own APE but smaller ones sit on out shared platform.

I think for now I'll just stick with the current process which is an engineer contacts us when they can't find their device as they didn't assign a specific CP to it. I guess one thing we could do is enforce that this CP has to be filled out.