cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Palo Alto 7050 not reporting Memory properly?

Using the default (hrSystem?) OID, it seems our Palo Altos aren't reporting memory correctly. Palo Alto support has suggested we use memCached and memBuffer instead, however, this doesn't seem to be in the Orion MIB Database. I don't even know what OIDs they are.

I suppose my question is, I'm trying to find the OIDs for these so I can set up a custom poller, but I can't load a MIB into the MIB browser to verify the data I'm looking for. Can I put in a feature request for an option to add a local MIB into the MIB Browser to make this process easier? Also, is there another way to easily find the proper OID I need to be using in order to make a Universal poller for it?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 11

I've had similar issues with Palo Alto in the past, and have had to use Universal Device Pollers(UnDP) to poll that data.  However, if the data you want is CPU, Memory, or "Node Details", the best way is to create or download from thwack a "Custom Poller" just like you were saying.  This is because the cpu and memory data will display in the default\built-in CPU and Memory web resource, and you don't have to jump through hoops creating UnDP charts and/or tables. 

Are you sure that the Palo Alto 7050 MIB is not in the SolarWinds database?  If it's not, the only way to get it in there as of now, is to create a SolarWinds tech support ticket in your Customer Portal.  Attach the PA 7050 MIB file to the ticket, and a SW tech supp. rep. will compile that MIB file and load it into your SolarWinds database.  They will send you an entire new SolarWinds MIB database that includes that new MIB.  You just then simply copy that folder over your existing SW MIB database. 

What I usually do when I am searching for OIDs, is I use the Universal Device Poller program on the Orion app server.  I will usually search on Google for the OID I am looking for, or an OID that is atleast close.  Create a new UnDP, paste in the OID you have, and click "Browse MIB tree".  From there, you can select a test node, and test OIDs against it.  It will take you to the place in the MIB tree where the OID lives, and usually there is a plethora of other OIDs in the same folder/section that I check out.  Again, if its CPU and/or Memory, once I have found the correct OID(s), go back into the web console and create a new Custom Poller. 

Know that you can also test OIDs against devices by going to Node Details view for that Node and clicking MIB Browser under Management.  I find that the UnDP program has a cleaner and more intuitive interface.

There is also a SNMPwalk program in your Orion folder that you can use to walk the MIB.  In other words, it will walk the device's MIB and generate a text file that lists all of its OID numbers and current values for each.  It won't tell you what the OID name or what its for though like the UnDP or MIB browser does.  On our Orion server, it is in E:\Program Files\ (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\SNMPwalk.exe

Regards,

Parker

0 Kudos