This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Packetfront support in NPM

We have a problem where we have some hundreds packetfronts, these are switches and routers made for broadband delivery and they do not come up as expected in NPM. In NPM they come up as Wireless APs and in network atlas the link between their interfaces do not come up. I think it can be said they are not supported yet. I know they use a protocol named PFDP instead of the standard LLDP and probably do not have a standard OID setup but I could be wrong on the last one. Becasue of all this I was wondering if there is a way to manually tell NPM how they work, where should I begin to read and look to fix something like this?

• Hi there,

Never heard of this vendor. Do they have a website?

I would take note of the node models then lookup the vendor's documentation for SNMP.

I would also try and get the vendor's MIB for the node/node model and send it over to SolarWinds through a ticket so that it can be compiled into the MIB Database.

• Here is the link to their website http://pfsw.com/ , but was not able to find much information about their MIB tables that seemed 100% correct on google. We are now in talks with the provider so that should not be a problem for long. Since the hardware in question is a part of full stack SDN solution, people probably do not ask for their MIBs a lot. Thanks for the response, it put us on the right track.

• First of all, to fix them showing up with the wireless device view you will need to go to your Orion settings > Views by Device Type, find their machinetype in that list and change them from Wireless to Default.  This is a common behavior in NPM that I hope will one day stop.  As far at the network atlas topology you are basically out of luck.  It does what it does and if the devices don't support the OID's it uses then there is no practical way to fill in the gap.  If you are extremely dedicated there is a topology table in the database that tracks these kinds of links and I have used SQL to manually form the connections I wanted, but this is extremely unsupported and not something I would encourage any to do unless they feel like their Solarwinds kung fu is stronk.

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

• Thanks for the great answer mesverrum. Changing the device type to default view did the trick. The atlas problem we solved with a workaround. We already know the topology quite well so we only needed to put up the interfaces as objects in atlas and make manual lines between the different device's interfaces and then right-click the line itself and removing the interfaces. Then we can see if a line is up or down and which side is affected by the interface going red, green or grey. Even when the devices do not recognize the neighborship of each other we can still see out and in traffic on the interface with using queries in labels.

Maybe things will start working correctly when adding the MIB tables, but I believe this will now work up our current needs.

• If you have a minute then you can send the following list of OIDs to the provider and ask whether these are included in their MIB.

Also, do you happen to know if this SDN solution/appliance supports LLDP?

• Thanks for answering again Deltona , I will be looking through their OIDs when I get the documentation. When it comes to supporting LLDP, I know that they do not. They use their own protocol called PFDP (Packet Front Discovery Protocol)