This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion wont write to SQL database

I have justin put Orion on a new server and want to bring all the old data onto the new server and then have the new isntallation of Orion just continue on with the database. What I did was do a backup on the original server, then move all the files over and do a restore. Then I pointed Orion to look to the new datbase.

It all seemed to work fine, we could see al the old data and everything. BUT Orion didnt seem to be writing the new polling data to the database. I have the nodes set to poll correctly and what not but dont see any new data at all on the NetView sight. Sounds like a permissions problem btu I have no idea how to do all tha stuff.
  • Run the "Monitor Polling Engines" program from the "Windows Start Menu->Network Performance Monitor->Advanced Features"
    Then select "Servers->Poller Load Balancing". This will let you move Nodes between servers.
    Highlight all Nodes and then select "Polling Engines->Move Selected Nodes to..." from the menu.
  • so your saying that since I created all new polling instances on the new server (basically added all the nodes again on the new server) that they dont match up? and thats why there not writing?
  • If you added the Nodes manually to the new server, then you now have two copies of each Node. One on the new server and one on the old. The Nodes on the old server will not get polled since you shutdown that server.

Instead of readding the Nodes, use the "Polling Engine Load Balancer" within "Monitor Polling Engines" to move them from the old server to the new one.

Within Orion, each Node is assigned to a polling engine. Backing up the database and restoring it to a new server does not move the Nodes from one server to another. It just moves the database. You still need to migrate the Nodes.

If you readded the Nodes manually to the second server, I suggest you remove them and migrate the them instead.
  • To get Polling Engine Load Balancer apperently I have to repurchase maintainence. Is there any other way to get it.. or do these peoeple clearly got me?
  • From the Windows Start menu, select "SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor->Advanced Features->Monitor Polling Engines"
    Then from the "Monitor Polling Engines" menu select "Servers->Poller Load Balancing"
  • I do not have "Monitor Polling Engines as I have not been able to find this download on their website becauase they seemto force you to buy there maintinance. IS there any other place I can get this little add on from?
  • You must have an older version of Orion. That application ships with all releases at this time.

You could also migrate the Nodes manually using the Database Manager.

Using the Database Manager, right-click on any table and select "Query Table".
    Enter this SQL statement and click the "Refresh" button.

Select EngineID,ServerName From Engines

This will give you the list of Polling Engines and their IDs. When I run this on my server I get the following:

1 VPC-WIRELESS
    3 DON-DEV7

If I want to move all Nodes from VPC-Wireless to Don-Dev7, I would run the following SQL statement. (Enter the SQL statement and click "Refresh")

Update Nodes Set EngineID=3

This would move ALL Nodes to the #3 Polling Engine (Don-Dev7).
    Now you can run the "Select EngineID,ServerName From Engines" again and delete the old server. (Click the Read-Write selection at the top, and then right-click on the old server name and select "Deleted Selected Rows")

Be sure to shut down the Polling Engine before making these changes.