This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion perfmon client - why the change?

I am running orion perfmon 9.5 sp1 currently.  Why did you guys remove the ability to make changes in the console?  Now you have to click on the Manage button and make a name change from a webpage pop up.  I am really missing this feature so please put it back.  PLease! PLEASE!

• I would like to dig into this some more.  Why do you prefer to use system manager?  Is there a problem with the web node management?  We are moving more items over to the web as it allows us more flexability and now multiple people can access etc.

• To note, under 9.1 I'm not having any problems managing any nodes using System Manager.

I don't like the web interface as it's quite slow and difficult to do bulk changes myself.

-JP

• To note, under 9.1 I'm not having any problems managing any nodes using System Manager.

I don't like the web interface as it's quite slow and difficult to do bulk changes myself.

-JP

• So if the web interface was quicker, what other objections or issues would you have in using the web interface instead of the client?

• The web is definitely slow as well as another added step to crawl through but it is not the reason of objection for me.  Some people prefer to work in web client and some people don't.  can't see why we can't do both.     

• I'd prefer to have the option to administer nodes from both the web and system manager.

I typically have RDP sessions into all my solarwinds servers and tend to "administer" them from within a remote desktop. Thats how one typicall works on a server. Why should Solarwinds be locked down to a web client?

• This question was talked about a lot after the release of 9.5.  It basically comes down to this... System Manager and Web Functionality are 2 seperate code trains and have to be managed as such.   When a new feature would be added, it is likely it would have to be coded twice thus slowing down development.   There are many systems I administer that are now web only and we've recently upgraded a few that went to web only.  We've not been using NPM as long as others but basically everyone uses the web interface including me and I'm the main admin. 

We have some camera software that cheats this kind of system...   They have a client you can run on the server and a web version.  The only difference is that the server version loads the web version into a slightly different interface so it looks like software running on the server.  Its the way this company decided to keep both sets of customer bases happy but its really the same thing. I don't think that's what we want to see here.

Overall I think having things web managed is a good move forward.  Its easy to access from anywhere and to allow multiple people in at the same time.  The speed isn't as good yet but it will get better over time.  That's just my opinion.

• I was involved much in the discussion of this a long time ago like ecornwell mentions here.

Since this discussion forever ago, I have adapted somewhat to the usage of the web console, and aside from the speed issues (which we are attempting to resolve ourselves) I find it less heinous than before.

One thing to add that I can not seem to do anymore, is manually force a poll or rediscovery of a node. This used to be done in SM. It helped somewhat when troubleshooting odd quirks within NPM.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to ecornwell

This question was talked about a lot after the release of 9.5.  It basically comes down to this... System Manager and Web Functionality are 2 seperate code trains and have to be managed as such.   When a new feature would be added, it is likely it would have to be coded twice thus slowing down development.   There are many systems I administer that are now web only and we've recently upgraded a few that went to web only.  We've not been using NPM as long as others but basically everyone uses the web interface including me and I'm the main admin. 

Couldn't have said it better myself.  If X engineers can build Y features, then delivering the same feature in two UIs counts as two features (more or less). 

We are fixing the speed issue.  We added paging in SP4, and that should help a lot.  Let us know how you like it with paging.  We're listening.  We'll do more to make it faster.  I'm not ruling anything out, but I'd like to have you make your judgments on a faster web console.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Congo

One thing to add that I can not seem to do anymore, is manually force a poll or rediscovery of a node. This used to be done in SM. It helped somewhat when troubleshooting odd quirks within NPM.

Have you tried v9.5?  We added Poll Now and Rediscover to web node management.  They're under More Actions.