I am currently evaluating Orion 8.1.0. When I expand some of the nodes, Orion Network Performance Monitor will freeze and I have to force the program to close. It gives me an application hang in the event log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: (101)
Event ID: 1002
Time: 8:48:18 AM
Hanging application OrionNetPerfMon.exe, version 22.214.171.124, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang
0010: 20 20 4f 72 69 6f 6e 4e OrionN
0018: 65 74 50 65 72 66 4d 6f etPerfMo
0020: 6e 2e 65 78 65 20 38 2e n.exe 8.
0028: 31 2e 30 2e 33 20 69 6e 1.0.3 in
0030: 20 68 75 6e 67 61 70 70 hungapp
0038: 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 0.0.0.0
0040: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 at offs
0048: 65 74 20 30 30 30 30 30 et 00000
0050: 30 30 30 000
It seems like it started when I added the latest updates and hotfixes that came with the evaluation download. It did not crash before I applied the hotfixes and updates. This is a test machine with only Orion and the eval of Engineer's toolkit on it. There are not other applications or software installed and I have all the latest microsoft updates. One of the nodes I try to expand is a Windows Server 2003 machine, another is a wireless node, and another is a Unix box. The ones that crash will not let me delete them either. I can add them into Orion a second time and they work just fine but I have two instances of the same node. No matter how many times I right click and delete the node, it still stays in the view. I thought about removing it from the database but that was a last resort. Does anybody have any suggestions other than trying a reinstall? Thanks for your help.
I have the same issue on my test box. I have a Windows server 2003 SR2 X64 edition with the 8.1 version with the 4 hotfixes. If I try to expand a node the application hangs.
Please provide a solution as my customer is not likely to purchase a product that doesn't work.
I had put the hotfixes 1-4 on before I even loaded the data. It appears to have failed after installing the latest Microsoft patches that were available. Before that I hadn't had the issue. I have since re-installed the hotfixes and still no help. Somewhere MS is not playing nice with SW.
I'll keep digging till I find the bug and let you know.
OK, ran the config wizard - same issue after the wizard. No matter what I try to expand (cisco, ibm, etc) when I click to open the device the application hangs.
Any other suggestions? I'm not having a great deal of luck convincing my client to purchase this product based on the 8.1 issues.
Is there a node limit for the database in Trial mode? If I have more than 100 interfaces does it cause this crash? Anyone have any idea of limits for the demo version outside of the 30 day timeline? This is the 3rd build of the same box in hopes of getting it working.
I contacted Solarwinds and was told it is a faulty dll file that is causing the problem. A few other people have called in with similar problems. I should receive the dll file from solarwinds soon and I will post any updates. Thanks.
The dll file didn't work for me. I was told you can use the database manager to remove the nodes. You go into the nodes table and remove the node that is listed in there. Its not a fix as to why it happened in the first place but it is a workaround for the problem.
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.