cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 19

Orion Wish List – Top 5 features

Hi everyone. I’m the new product manager for Orion. Josh has already given you some ideas about what we’re going to be delivering in Orion 8.0. One of our goals is to provide a longer-term roadmap so that you have some idea of what’s coming in future versions.

Consequently, while we are finishing up 8.0, I am thinking about Orion 9.0 and beyond. I’ve been contacting customers individually regarding what they’d like to see in the future. I’m also about to send a survey out to a random sample of customers asking them similar questions.

I know those of you in the forums frequently ask for features, and we do read the forums and take note of those requests. But since I’m working on the roadmap right now, I thought it couldn’t hurt to ask folks to take a few minutes and share your wish list.

Give me your top 5 requests. Please think broadly. These features might be changes to Orion or they might be add-ons to Orion that address new network management problems.

Denny LeCompte
Sr. Product Manager, Orion
SolarWinds
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
65 Replies
Level 9

I would like to be able to set a scheduled monitor mode in Orion for nodes. Currently you have to manually set it. I would like to have it reaccuring and not have to manually do it each week. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 12

Hello 😃
Loving orion, but here's a few things that I'd enjoy in a future version.

#1) Improved interoperability with Cirrus. My current method of exporting nodes, ips, and custom variables with csv and importing again to custom properties is not the best way to do things.

#2) Threshold monitoring. I should be alerted if ping times are suddenly 300% more than they were an hour ago. Orion should be 'smart' enough to recognize increased latency across my wan links and notify me. [Tuning capabilities for low ping nodes]

#3) Statistics-only monitoring nodes. I would easily have Orion SLX if Orion supported monitoring interfaces and nodes for utilization and errors only, but did not create up/down alerts or event logs. I don't specifically have my Access ports set up to alert, but they still show up under nodes with problems and this throws off the maps.

#4) 'Advanced' variable comparison. Comparing, for instance, A custom MIB status variable of CPU temperature to the CPU threshold and sending an alert if it's 85% to the threshold.

#5) Improved ${Variable} expansion in map design and node list. Whenever I change the hostname of a device I have to rediscover the node, delete the hostname, press rediscover again, delete a character (Because NodeName is still blank!), and save it again. The node list should work off of ${NodeName} as an option.

-JP Senior
0 Kudos
Level 11

Feature request.

To be able to assign different monitoring levels to different interfaces.(Trunks / Access Ports)

For Example: We can set Solarwinds to Monitor all the interfaces trunks or access ports at the moment and the icon for the device will flash red if interfaces are down. This is useful for trunks but not so useful for access ports which we dont mind being down , but we still want to monitor the utilization of the ports.

Regards

Miron
0 Kudos
Level 7

One of the easiest things that i would like to see added / support is to associate email contacts for notifications with a user name list.

example :

user John Doe has an email addy of 9164441322@sprintpcs.com

then when you are doing your alerts and set up email notifications you just use the name "John Doe" which will know to use the email addy for that user for notifications. we often have to spent an extra 15 minutes or so on new accounts remembering who exactly to notify and then find thier email address.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Denny,

I'd still like to see the following addressed:

-------------------------------

We have been trying to integrate ORION with a third-party customer management system. On your website, you state: "Orion's Web interface is built for easy customization and includes methods for integrating third party application data or for referencing Orion's data from within other Websites via the fully programmable Web API."

I just got off the phone with tech support, who said the only functionality related to this is the custom HTML/Text fuction within ORION. While this is a useful addition, it is hardly a fully programmable API (not even close).

I can find no documentation anywhere on this. What's the scoop on this and how do we access the fully programmable API? Can you shed any light on this?

Bill
0 Kudos
Level 7

I would like to see...

1. incorporate basic and advanced alerts together
2. ability to acknowledge alerts within the Orion webpage
3. ability to import custom mibs
4. alert escalation - the ability to schedule time for an individual or group (on call/not on call)
5. integrate netflow stats with the report writer

CP
0 Kudos
Level 7

Top 5 would have to be:

1)MySQL Support
2)Web Administration - add, remove, edit nodes etc.
3)Port/service based status (i.e. port 80 alive and delivering web page)
4)Node/network topology linking (parent/child relationships or similar, you could then configure alert suppression easily i.e. if parent down do not alert for children) - could also link automatically on maps?
5)Ability to acknowledge all alerts (advanced is now there but not basic) and add ticket ref etc in web interface (basically simpler customisation or an api for better integration to third party helpdesks etc.)

Thanks
0 Kudos
Level 19

quote:Originally posted by vbowers

I know that I replied to this topic early on, but wanted to chime in again. I agree with several other posters in asking for better integration with Application Monitor. We should be able to imbed app monitors in our maps for alerting purposes just as we can network interfaces.

Again, agreeing with earlier posters, improvement in report writing to make it possible to create exception reports, on network resources and applications, would be a HUGE improvement. Exception reports are great, once set up, at helping you get a handle on your environment. Wish I could do that with Orion.

vbowers,

I know you posted this a few weeks ago, but could you give me more detail on what you mean by exception reports. It's a common term, but it's used to mean slightly different things by different people

Denny LeCompte
SolarWinds
0 Kudos
Level 12

Alot of good suggestions in here. One of the things I really need is Cisco SAA functionality. In Ciscoworks they had the Internetwork Performance Manager where I could set up pings between devices using ICMP/SNMP/VoIP etc. I want to trend the latency between different WAN connections.

Thanks.

BB
0 Kudos
Level 7

quote:Originally posted by rangertdc

First off I would like to thank you all for the new information about version 8, I'm really looking forward to it and was excited to see some new solid information about it.

Aside from the already announced features here a couple I woudln't mind seeing.

1) Make it easier to adjust time frames of graphs with a single click. I.e. to be able to move forward or backward 24 hours in time on the graph with a single click

2) Allow multiple interface graphs on a single page. I think this can sort of be done with reports at this time, but I know I often want to be able to see the past 24 hours of activity on all 24 or 48 interfaces of a switch on a single page for troubleshooting purposes. I haven't found a way yet to do this with custom views.

3) Netflow graphing and reporting

4) AD intergrated logins that support AD groups. I've gotten pass-through authentication to work, but I can't get it to work with a group instead of a username. I.e. if I have 50 people on my helpdesk, I would like to be able to create a single helpdesk "account" in Orion with custom views, etc, and then assign my helpdesk AD group to that account, so if any of those 50 users in that group log in they receive the permissions and views of the helpdesk Orion account.
0 Kudos
Level 12

I'll ask for the impossible....

Support for other database systems (Oracle, MySQL, ...).
A rewrite of all the ASP code to PHP (PHP is much faster IMO and has tons of free add-ons).
0 Kudos
Level 9

I know that I replied to this topic early on, but wanted to chime in again. I agree with several other posters in asking for better integration with Application Monitor. We should be able to imbed app monitors in our maps for alerting purposes just as we can network interfaces.

Again, agreeing with earlier posters, improvement in report writing to make it possible to create exception reports, on network resources and applications, would be a HUGE improvement. Exception reports are great, once set up, at helping you get a handle on your environment. Wish I could do that with Orion.
0 Kudos
Level 7

A display of the # of TCP connections active in the OS as a standard resource would be good. (MRTG does it)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi!
I'm pretty new to Orion, and the first problem I encountered was:
Please make so that items in the network summary (like the network map) can span over multiple columns. I know I can change the whole page to be just one column, but I want to be able to have multiple columns below a wide big network map, for instance. (This should be easy to implement, please don't make me wait until v9 for this).
So, wish #1: More advanced customization for the web pages.
#2: Merge with Cirrus (and Netflow plugin :))
#3: Logon against LDAP/AD/Radius/etc.
#4: In MapMaker, on network links, we should be able to mark TWO interfaces, one FROM and one TO, so I don't have to make 2 network links for each connection.
#5: Complete makeover of the icon database in MapMaker. The y aren't exactly pretty And there are too few.

This is what is on top of my head right now anyway.
Thanks for listening.

Oystein Gasdal
Norway
0 Kudos

My Top 5 Wish List for new Orion version:

1> Customize MIBs
2> Full Juniper Product Support (Including Juniper Routers, Juniper Netscreen Firewalls)
3> Full Foundry Product Support (Including BigIron, FastIron & EdgeIron)
4> Servers and APplication Port Monitoring
5> Alert Ticker on Client Machines (These tickers should me customized and administrator can modify the message pattern and color and can configure these alerts at required user machines)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Denny,

I am confused. I am trying to integrate ORION with a third-party customer management system. On your website, you state: "Orion's Web interface is built for easy customization and includes methods for integrating third party application data or for referencing Orion's data from within other Websites via the fully programmable Web API."

I just got off the phone with tech support, who said the only functionality related to this is the custom HTML/Text fuction within ORION. While this is a useful addition, it is hardly a fully programmable API (not even close).

I can find no documentation anywhere on this. What's the scoop on this and how do we access the fully programmable API?

Bill
0 Kudos
Level 8

I apologize if what I am covering has been covered I did a some looking but did not locate anything and wanted to get my two cents in. We have used Orion for years and have found it to be very usefull with the exception of a few things.

The first being custom mibs. We run wireless that uses V1 of the SNMP and I want to be able to just watch a single thing. We have to run two systems.

Second the alerts we have to run a second system because it is just not flexible enough. For instance if I want to monitor a server for high CPU I don't want to know about a spike, I need to know when it is stuck. Same with a down device. I want to know after it has failed three times and only be notified once or twice. I cannot control it and therefore don't use it.

Most other things work ok. Sometimes the mapping would be nice if there were a few more options to be able to actually draw some basic maps rather than having to do a visio, import etc. Seems like our maps lag because we don't have time to go through the steps. Being able to do it on the fly would be great.

Being able to configure more through the web is always nice. All in all it has been a good product and would be hard to live without. It is a little frusterating to have to run Kiwi to get the syslog functionality we need and run ipsentry for alerts etc.

But then we bought it for trend analysis which is does with the exception of the devices we can't get to without the use of the custom mibs.

Shirley E. Pulsipher
0 Kudos
Level 9

I would like to see:

- Port Monitoring. We currently use Nagios to monitor ports on servers and I would love to be able to get rid of it.

- I would like to have the same type of control via the web as I currently do on the console. I would like to be able to add devices, change interfaces, etc... from the web instead of the console.

- It would be nice to have the same functionality of the syslog viewer in the web as you do on the console. Currently you cant search by IP address in the syslog messages via the web which would be very helpful.

- Audible alerts from the webpage when certain events happen

- It would be cool to be able to view syslog messages like they are viewed in Splunk.
0 Kudos
Level 19

DannyMc,

Just wanted to let you know that Custom MIBs will be in 8.0, which we will ship in mid-December.

The other features are things we are considering for our next release.

Denny

Denny LeCompte
SolarWinds
0 Kudos
Level 7

1) Custom MIBs
2) Native Switch Port Mapper functionality in Orion.
3) Custom MIBs
4) Port Monitoring
5) Custom MIBs

Thanks,
Danny Mc?
0 Kudos