cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Orion Website Error. This channel can no longer be used...

any idea about this error?

This channel can no longer be used to send messages as the output session was auto-closed due to a server-initiated shutdown. Either disable auto-close by setting the DispatchRuntime.AutomaticInputSessionShutdown to false, or consider modifying the shutdown protocol with the remote server. 

SolarWinds Orion Core 2010.1.0, NPM 10.0.0, NTA 3.6

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Level 16

Hot Fix 6 should be available in your customer portal.

Level 10

Experienced the same issue on NPM 11.5 where rendering custom poller resources were failing to render. A restart of the information service and website through Orion Service Manager resolved the issue. The cause is likely down to resourcing issues, as the poller that experienced the symptoms described is running hot, even when allocated resource in line with the release notes.

0 Kudos

if this is for 11.5.2 then contact support -- they have a buddy-drop that fixed this issue for me.

Yes, there is a memory leak in the SWISv3 service that usually only surfaces in large environments.  It will be rolled up in HF6, but there is a buddy drop available to fix the issue immediately.

0 Kudos

I am using 11.5.3, how do I get the hotfix?

0 Kudos

Should be in your customer portal or in the download package of 11.5.3

0 Kudos
Level 12

Did you find a more permanent solution to this?  Doing IIS resets and restarting the info service only temporarily stops this issue for us. 

0 Kudos

solved, buy huge servers, one for database, one for web access and one for polling engine

0 Kudos

evanr - if you're finding that the above fixes are only working temporarily, I'd suggest getting a support ticket open ? Not that I'm an expert, but sounds like something is corrupted somewhere... ?

0 Kudos
Level 10

I got this error and I resolved it by stopping and starting our SolarWinds site on the server using IIS Manager.

Had a similar scenario this morning - restarting IIS via cmd prompt resolved this for me. iisreset & once complete, all working again.

Right on the money- we actually now have a Success Center article for this fix found here:

This channel can no longer be used to send messages as the output session was auto-closed due to a s...

Please log a support ticket if this becomes an recurring issue as it can be a symptom of deeper issues in some situations.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Just an update that we saw this error after upgrading NPM 11.0.1 to 11.5.2 with an additional web engine on a separate server.  The exact error is below.  An IISreset on the additional web server fixed the issue.  Interestingly, this only happened on the additional web server for us.  If you connected to the primary poller directly the error did not occur.

This channel can no longer be used to send messages as the output session was auto-closed due to a server-initiated shutdown. Either disable auto-close by setting the DispatchRuntime.AutomaticInputSessionShutdown to false, or consider modifying the shutdown protocol with the remote server.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I am finding hits on MSDN for a .NET Framework setting.  I have also opened a ticket now having seen this a few times with multiple polling engine configuration.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.servicemodel.dispatcher.dispatchruntime.automaticinpu...

0 Kudos

Hi,

Just wanna update this thread, since I have encountered this specific error yesterday. I just did a reinstallation of the Solarwinds Information Service on the affected poller and then restarted IIS and everything was fixed right then 🙂

0 Kudos

Hi -- I am having the same problem I am receiving an error deleting nodes in NPM Node Management.  The error is:

Item 4 of 4 where 4 failed.Last error: This channel can no longer be used to send messages as the output session was auto-closed due to a server-initiated shutdown. Either disable auto-close by setting the DispatchRuntime.AutomaticInputSessionShutdown to false, or consider modifying the shutdown protocol with the remote server

I submitted Case #298963

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hi ariabell,

You may try uninstalling/installing the Information Service to fix the issue. Now works for me everytime  🙂

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

I would open a support ticket, I am not familiar with this error

0 Kudos

I have the case 162179 since 5/18/2010 and my NPM is still down 😞

0 Kudos

Hi Charly--

I'll let support know about this.

M

0 Kudos