cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Orion Website Clock - Timezone Settings

Jump to solution

We are a global company and we just migrated from Orion 7.8 to 8.1.  In the older version the clock on the website was pulling Time Zone from our Orion Server which we set to GMT.  Now the clock on the website appears to be pulling the time from your local workstation.  However, graphs are still showing the time on the server.  This make things confusing...is there anyway to adjust the clock so that it reflects the time from the server and not my local workstation?  Or better yet...have the graphs reflect the time of my local workstation and not GMT?  Eitherway...consistency is desired...time zone calculations are a real pain. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 19

Almost 3 years and two major releases - That must be one hell of a map!

It is.  We have a lot of customers who ask for a lot of stuff.  We've added a lot of features over the last few years, but we've got a lot left to add. 

Our Orion system spans 12 time zones - is this something we should see or has it been shelved?

Not shelved.  It's something we intend to do, but it's a long queue of features.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Level 12

I'm not sure, if this is the similar problem, but for us (I live in Europe) Orion 8.1 also displays incorrect date/time format through the web. Both, the Orion server and a workstation are set to DD.MM.YYYY date format and 24h time format. Web browser displays dates in MM/DD/YYYY and time in 12-hour format. For us this is misleading and confusing. Orion Network Performance Monitor on Orion server displays date and time correctly, corresponding to server's regional settings.

In Orion 7.8 we didn't experience this problem.

- - -
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Level 17
If you want to use the date-time settings for your
region, you must edit the web.config file located in
C:\Inetpub\SolarWinds, by default. For example,insert the following line after the
<system.web> element to display the date-time setting in the UK format: <globalization
culture="en-GB" uiCulture="en-GB"/>.

For more information, see
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bz9tc508.aspx. 

0 Kudos
Level 12
If you want to use the date-time settings for your region, you must edit the web.config file located in C:\Inetpub\SolarWinds, by default. For example,insert the following line after the <system.web> element to display the date-time setting in the UK format: <globalization culture="en-GB" uiCulture="en-GB"/>.

For more information, see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bz9tc508.aspx. ;

Tried that, I have also added the RW permissions on web.config file to NPM-Server\aspnet user and restarted IIS, but with no effect. The portion of my web.config looks like:

"...

<system.web>
    <globalization culture="en-GB" uiCulture="en-GB"/>
 <compilation debug="false">
      <assemblies>
        <add assembly="System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
        <add ... "

Best regards.

Tomaz

- - -
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Level 19

Orion 8.1 is still using the Orion server time.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi there

Solarwinds should provide the feature to show the local time of the device. This is crucial in global monitoring when dealing with local support. When Solarwinds reports an event, then a manual calculation is required depending on the time of the world.

Bye
Ken

0 Kudos
Level 19

Agreed.  That feature is on our roadmap.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Agreed.  That feature is on our roadmap.

Our Orion system spans 12 time zones - is this something we should see or has it been shelved?

JB

Level 19

It is.  We have a lot of customers who ask for a lot of stuff.  We've added a lot of features over the last few years, but we've got a lot left to add. 

Not shelved.  It's something we intend to do, but it's a long queue of features.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 12

For anyone in the Thwack community who has an interest in seeing this feature added, there is a enhancement topic (http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/1260) opened by for voting.  Please add your vote so it has some chance of being addressed.  Thanks...

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi Denny

Any sign of feature appearing to use local time zones per device?

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
Level 19

What do you mean by local time zone for each device?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi Denny

The local time would be in the country time zone offset from UTC for example. Of course Solarwinds would need to keep up with the changes of governement decisions to change offset change dates as the US have done.

We need to see our devices report in local time by way of an offset. All issues are conducted in local time with our vendors and we constantly have to make a manual change in our heads to convey outage times.

I am also looking for a SQL query for the reporting where a custom field can be used for the offset which is managed by the customer. This would be a work around - have you seen any entries on the forum that would address this via a SQL query / calculation?

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
Level 19

What about browser time?  The database would use UTC and the browser would convert, thereby handling the random gov't changes.  Would that work?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi Denny

Do  you mean for example a person in Singapore would look at the site, and there browser would show the evenets in Singapore local time instead of a basic UTC time?

If yes, then that would be a great feature!

I was looking for an option where from a single site perspective monitoring 80 locations wordwide, we must consider the outages in the site local time in terms of business hour relevance. Therefore and offset option would offset the event times compared to UTC. The tricky piece is DST if it were to be automated and of course that would mean patches to keep up with George Bush and other countries who sometimes change there DST times. This is all about seeing the immeadiate business impact instead of adding up times in your head and also to aid reporting. Places like India go in halfs! - GMT +5.5

Thanks
Ken

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi Denny

Any more on this?

0 Kudos
Level 19

This is where we're going.  We're introducing more each release and across modules, but it won't be done in Orion 9.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Just to add more pressure ...

I had this exact request come in today.

Solarwinds servers are in Central Time Zone - but we have users in other Zones needing their own local timestamps.

Cheers!

0 Kudos

Any update on this guys?

I can see from the port that the feature wouldnt be included in version 9, but is it now available in version 10?

thanks

s

0 Kudos
Level 13

Hi Steven--

It's not supported in NPM 10, but I'll let the PM know you are interested.

Thx,

M

0 Kudos

Thanks Marie,

looking at the posts this has been an oustanding feature request since version 7 is there any hope of this being implemented ever? if not do solarwinds have a reccomended workaround for this?

thanks

steven

0 Kudos