This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion V7

I have yet had time to play with the version 7 beta. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to do so and what their thoughts are of the new version. Likes? Dislikes? Etc? Was the remote management client installed in this version?
  • Bryan,

I have downloaded the Beta, bust have not installed it yet.
    This version is NOT for production deployment, only for testing,
    according to the included readme.txt file.

I did however read through the Admin pdf.
    There is most likely more than this in the full release, but these were the hi-lights I could see right off the bat:

- Assigning custom properties/fields to nodes in the database
    - Grouping Web objects by creating custom views & custom properties
    - Much improved Mapmaker with basic drawing functionality built-in
    - Ability to select & view Report Writer reports in Web interface
    - Much improved alerting can now send syslog, snmp traps, custom web page, etc.
    - Direct Link login from embedded URL's links

Again, this is only from reading the Admin PDF doc.

I am going to try and find a server I can install this on
    sometime this week.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • NG

Has something changed since yesterday. I couldn't find mention of beta anywhere in the admin guides and there was no readme file when I downloaded the install.
  • Yes, Today's download is the Full Version.
    No more Beta!

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • On Monday, the Beta README was packaged with the download and the website updates had not been done yet. They must have updated the download and the website at the same time on Monday night or Tuesday morning.

My initial findings of 7.0:

- Map Maker is *greatly* enhanced, but finding a problem already;
    (custom LEDs don't show up on the Orion website as they do on the
    map.
    - Account Limitation Builder is nice, but you cannot assign views
    based on Custom Properties configured on interfaces - only nodes.
    Still a very handy feature, though.
    - Can't wait to use the Report Scheduler, which is due out next
    week.
    - Not sure if 6.0 had this functionality, but when you list a node's
    resources, you can hold Shift or Ctrl and select multiple
    interfaces, volumes, etc. - very handy when you have Juniper
    routers with those darn 'inet' interfaces or Catalysts with
    many VLANs.
    - Solarwinds provided a handy utility to stop/start/restart the
    various Orion services.
    - Haven't messed around a lot with the alerts, but plan to sometime
    tomorrow.

./evt
  • I've been running the beta for about a week. The biggest improvement I fell with this version is the mapmaker it has been truelly rewritten and there is now no need to use visio or others to do the basics it can all be done from mapmaker now.

Other points that are useful is the ability to run reports from the web site and being able to attach filters to the top 10 listings etc.

Overall I think it is an excellent improvements but there is still room for added features and improvement
  • The new full version has been released since the 24/11/2003
  • Hi,
    Does new 7.0 version have possibilities to add own mibs?

Greets

Darek Pawlak
  • I've been running V7 in Production for 2 days now.

I haven't played around with the mapmaker yet, although it looks interesting.

I'm still waiting for the remote console app for this, so I don't have to use PCanywhere or play around with the gif files.

The web service (IIS) crashed yesterday. I restarted it, but the web site was still not available. I had to re-boot the server.
    It crashed again today, but the site came back after restarting IIS.
    I think it's related to the web based reports function which seems
    somewhat buggy. Reports which display fine in Report Writer either don't display or have all the database fields displayed.
    When it works correctly, this is a great feature.

The OR function (display "any" of the following) does not work when trying to nest below the AND funtion (display "all" of the following) in the Report Writer.

Grouping Objects in the Web interface is now possible, although there is no built in function to group by Nodename. We have all our nodes named by Province, then location. If you assign custom properties to each node (asset#, serial#, region, etc) you can group them with this.

There is also supposed to be a polling engine tuning util in the customer section of the Solarwinds.net web site ubder "unsupported",
    but I can't see it there.

The on-line and context sensitive help is much improved. It is a lot easier to get info on how to implement new features now with one click of the mouse.

I was hoping for customized MIB support, but can't see anything new.

There's still a lot to play around with in order to use all the new features available.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • Just an update regarding the grouping feature.

Previously we were grouping devices by prefixing the nodename with the province and then the building or function. By creating web accounts with access to only certain provinces or functions, we were able to "group" devices in a crude manner of speaking.

Now you can enter this info into the custom property editor, and then apply filters to the web view so that devices can be grouped in any manner, including sub-groups, based on whatever properties you have entered in the custom property editor.

It takes a bit of work to enter this info, but it is well worth the time.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • I upgraded to V7 today...so far so good. My thoughts :

Good - New Map Maker tool is sweet and it appears they have mad alot of development in this tool. Running reports off the website is nice, still like to be able to create reports without having to log into the server. Account Manager/Limitations is nice to have. Device grouping is great.

Bad - Still does not support the PortName variable for Cisco Catalyst switches. You still have to rename the interface to reflect what's in the description field...still a major pain. I cant get the NT pass-thru security to work..must be something I'm doing wrong.

Still waiting on the remote administration tool and the ability to collect syslogs and display them thru Orion.

V7 looks like good and the development is noticed. Hopefully some of out feature requests will be answered eventually.