This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion Report Scheduler Issues

I'm currently running NPM 9.0 SP2 and having issues with the report scheduler.  I had issues using 8.5.1 but hoped moving to 9.0 would resolve them.  We can manually generate custom reports and e-mail them properly.  However, scheduling those same reports to go out automatically hasn't worked.  I checked the 'RunOrionJob.log' file and it doesn't report any errors in the job log.  However, no e-mails are received.  We're using the same SMTP server and settings for the automated e-mails as we are for the manually-generated ones.

I've hunted around on the forums a bit and can't seem to find anything that has fixed the issue.  If anyone has any suggestions on where to look next they would be apprecaited.

Thanks,

Geoffrey

• Do you by chance have McAfee on that server?  If so check the Virus Scan Console>View Log and see if it is blocking SMTP port 25 traffic.

• when you look at your Scheduler are your jobs IDLE or have some other status?

when i first started using this Report Scheduler had a lot of problems too but what i ended up doing and its been running like a top since is these two things.

and i don't know if this will help your case, but i hope it might. its my two cents worth...so to speak.

1) any report which is going to be emailed resides in a common folder - that is - i created a folder by the name of C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion\Reports\EmailReports

(this is for when i fill in the TAB - URL Information)

2) i created an Orion account and named it EMAILER and assigned this account to the TAB - Orion Web Login info in the Scheduler.

but like i said after i did these two things it runs like a top every day seven days a week...good luck

• Two of the jobs are showing a 'Running' status right now (but they're scheduled to run in the mornings - at 6 AM), while the rest are idle.  Is there an easy way to stop them without having to stop all services? 

To answer John's question, we don't have McAfee installed on this server.  From what I can see, our Symantec Antivirus isn't interferring either. 

Thanks. 

• All of your scheduled reports are really just scheduled tasks.  If you open Scheduled Tasks in the Control Panel, you should be able to right click the tasks that are running and select End Task.

• I used that to end the reports, thanks for the info. However, I'm still experiencing the same issue now that I have all the reports in idle. I should mention that in addition to failure to send via e-mail, I'm seeing the same problem trying to have the reports automatically printed off to a printer.

I'm going to open a support ticket, but if anyone else has some more thoughts they're appreciated. Thanks again.
  • Actually I have a similar issue with NPM 9 sp1, scheduled reports that were working just sit in the running state now.

• When you look at in the Windows Task Scheduler at the job that you have setup, is it set to "run only when the user is logged in"?  That is a problem that I am having.

• I ran into a similar problem. Jobs would simply sit there in a running state and checking both the Scheduled Tasks log and RunOrionJob.log showed nothing helpful. I had a feeling it might be a permissions issue with the account and sure enought if the account being used to run the report does not have permissions to RunOrionJob.EXE the scheduled task kicks off and just hangs there. Once I made sure that the ReportScheduler account that I created had the appropritate permissions to that executable everything runs fine. All reports are running smoothly. The file is located in C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion

• I just wanted to chime in late and say that Tom's solution solved my problem.

These two things were required for the scheduled task to run:

- Local Security Policy >  Log On as Batch Job
    - Modify permissions for the SolarWinds Orion folder (the service account already had read access to RunOrionJob.exe)

After changing these permissions, the scheduled task started working.

Thanks!

• I have been struggling with report scheduling for awhile now.  My jobs used to run and work fine and then some upgrade broke them but I can't recall which one.  We are currently on 10.1.2.

When I set up a new job, I specify a service account to run the job.  However when I open the job again, it has my own account listed as the "run as" account.  Is that normal?  I want to make sure it's using the correct account to run the job and that I'm giving the correct account the permissions that are mentioned in the last post.

Thanks!

klc2009