This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion NPM backups

Hi all,

I've recently started working with the Orion tool and in preparation for NPM upgrades from 9.1.0/9.1 SP1 to 9.1 SP3 I've been backing up the NetPerfMon db using the Orion Database Manager.

Whilst this has been generally issue free, I did notice a considerable difference when completing one of the backups.

Orion DB Manager created a 3.5 gb .BAK file of a 14gb .mdf database - a drop in size I wasn't expecting. It was the first time Orion DB had been used to create a backup (previously done using Enterprise Manager) so I had to detect the SQL server (local) and enter the login credentials (Windows NT default) for the first time.

On other backups performed using Orion DB manager I've seen the backup created as the same size as the original DB (tho these are usually smaller in size - up 8gb).

I've not done anything different in the way I use Orion DB manager - so basically my question is can the 3.5gb .BAK be trusted as a sound backup? Does Orion DB manager apply compression to the db that Enterprise Manager does not?

Would using the SQL userid credentials to access the db when adding to DB Manager have made a difference?

Any info would be appreciated.