cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Orion NPM Webinterface

Hi,

I have started to get busy with Orion NPM.
I have succesfully installed the program and am beginning to understand the program quite well.

The next step I took was to install the web interface on the server.
This wasn't done easy for I had to find out why the website wasn't reachable.
I finally resolved this by putting the folder SolarWinds as the root folder for the website.
Now, when I visit localhost I enter directly in to the Solarwinds website login for the Orion NPM.

This is my problem:
I have a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor with 1GB of RAM.
When logged in I enter the page View.asp

This is loading extremely slow. Which is no fun at all.

What is this problem and how will I resolve this.

Sincerely,

Brix

Edit: What I have discovered in the mean time is that when I request a page en I shutdown the IIS service, the page will load immediatly.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Level 7

Hi all,

Thanks for all your reply's.

I have figured out what my problem was.
In Windows 2000 pro I started using PWS 3.0 (Personal Web Server)
When the webinterface is used it asks the user to install a little package called SWToolset.exe.
This is what PWS couldn't handle.
I found this out when I made the switch to IIS.

Using this solution the problem was fixed.
It is now working very fast.
I had the database and the webserver running on 2 different computers. I have merged the database with the webserver and still didn't receive any trouble.

I hope this solution will help another person.

Grtz,

Brix
0 Kudos
Level 9

Brix,

1) Is it your home view that is loading slowly or all views?
2) Have you customized the slow loading view?

If it is a specific view that has been customized, it sounds like one or more of the resources on the view are the problem. Try using the "Detach" option on each resource to see which one is taking a long time to load.

David Perdue
SolarWinds Development Team
0 Kudos
Level 7

quote:Originally posted by dclecompte

quote:Originally posted by pkeefer

Disk I/O appears to play a huge factor. As soon as I turned on Netflow, I/O graphs maxxed out and I started getting ASP errors. The CPU utilization stays pretty low, and memory didn't change much either.

Paul

Is your database on the same server as your web server?

Denny LeCompte
Sr. Product Manager, Orion
SolarWinds

Yes, but hopefully the SQL side will be moved to a new server by the end of the day.

Paul
0 Kudos
Level 7

quote:Originally posted by dclecompte

Disk I/O appears to play a huge factor. As soon as I turned on Netflow, I/O graphs maxxed out and I started getting ASP errors. The CPU utilization stays pretty low, and memory didn't change much either.

Paul

Denny LeCompte
SolarWinds

Yes, the database here is running on the same computer as the webserver. To be more specific, this setup here is in a test environment. The actual server is to be taken in use in the near future.

Edit: At this time I have succusfully split up these two.
Now the SQL is running on another computer and the webserver + program running on the other.

I still do experience extremely slow loadtime.

So what are my options here
(PS. it's quite anoying to wait until the posts are uploaded.)
0 Kudos
Level 19

Paul

Denny LeCompte
SolarWinds
0 Kudos
Level 7

Paul
0 Kudos
Level 7

Also, this will depend on the amound of data being pulled from SQL and the size of the "top level" map you are loading.
If you have a background image, ensure that it is a .jpg or something and keep the size minimal.
If your DB server is running on the same machine, you might not have enough RAM, and the number of disks the DB is writing to will impact performance. Try not to use one disk or a mirrored pair.
0 Kudos
Level 7

This is the version I'm running at the moment:

Orion Version 8.0.1 - December 2006
System Manager Version 8.0.113
Orion Network Performance Monitor Engine 8.0.72

The problem doesn't start when I enter the website (logging in) but it starts after logging in
when I visit the webpage: /NetPerfMon/View.asp?NetObject=
and every page after that.
0 Kudos

Um yeah...what he said

-------------------------

If you have a problem click on email me with a brief description of the problem and / or solution

[url="mailto:michael.buskin@gmail.com?Subject=A Message from a SolarWinds Forum User"]Email Me

[url="www.v-eight.com"]Visit my Website
0 Kudos
Level 13

Make sure that you're running Orion 8.0.1; there was a website performance issue that we corrected in 8.0.1 that was still present in 8.0.0.

Floyd May
Software Developer
SolarWinds.Net
0 Kudos