cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Orion NPM Install questions

Hi,

I am new to installing Orion Solarwinds and have been reading the admin guide. It say's that NPM is not 64 bit ready yet? Is this still the case or is the documentation out of date?

I also noticed that Orion does not support and advise installing the solarwinds database on a database server that has a RIM(blackberry) database installed on it. Why is this?

I was planning to install NPM on a Windows 2008 datacentre 64 bit VM and install the database on a clustered SQL 2005 environment. Soon to be upgraded to a Virtual clustered 2008 environment 64-bit.

Is there a date for a release of Orion that will carry fully 64-bit functionality?

I really do not want to have to stand up a seperate SQL box for Orion if it can be avoided.

1 Reply
Level 13

I am new to installing Orion Solarwinds and have been reading the admin guide. It say's that NPM is not 64 bit ready yet? Is this still the case or is the documentation out of date?

A- You can install Orion NPM on 64 bit O/S however you need to run IIS in 32 bit mode. 

I also noticed that Orion does not support and advise installing the solarwinds database on a database server that has a RIM(blackberry) database installed on it. Why is this?

A- Orion DB required CLR to be enabled on SQL server BB DB has issues with this . 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345136(v=sql.90).aspx

I was planning to install NPM on a Windows 2008 datacentre 64 bit VM and install the database on a clustered SQL 2005 environment. Soon to be upgraded to a Virtual clustered 2008 environment 64-bit.

A- Cluster is fully supported by NPM since it will look into the cluster name . However SQL and other hardware requirements please see admin guide. 

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/OrionAdministratorGuide.pdf

Page 10 -11 .

Is there a date for a release of Orion that will carry fully 64-bit functionality?

A- NOT Yet

I really do not want to have to stand up a seperate SQL box for Orion if it can be avoided.

A- You can use existing SQL server if the CLR is enabled on this however its really a question of performance in the end of the day . as  the Orion Website is just a graphical display of your DB. 

Let me know if you have any questions further.

0 Kudos