This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion NPM 9.5 SP3 Failed install

I have a 2008 server and a SQL 2005 database server. I am trying to install Orion NPM 9.5 SP3 and I keep getting Website configuration failed: Web Request for /Orion/Login.aspx failed - the remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

I have read through the forms and uninstalled and reinstalled .NET 3.5 without any luck... i also gave IIS_USER permissions to the solarwinds directory in inetpub with no luck... can anyone help me get this going? Thanks!

• Have you opened a support ticket to investigate?  That would be the best route

• We have a Windows 2003 Server with SQL 2005 that has the same issue.

It's in our Test/Stress area so we had time to completely rebuild the server from new and install a clean copy of 9.5 (which worked).

We then installed SP3 - which again broke the display of aspx pages with error 500.

We did a web site repair into a new folder which retored web site function, but of course removed the service pack from the web site.

It looks to us like a permissions type issue, but our case is still open with support - did you get your problem closed out?

Dave.

• I found the following event error description with the above problem, opened up security to the directory structure mentioned and that allowed thw wizard to run OK :-

Exception information:
        Exception type: HttpException
        Exception message: The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

May be worth a try.

Euan

• I logged a call with Solarwinds support, and they asled for various files including event logs.  That got me checking the same and I found the following error within the application event log within one warning message -

Exception information:
        Exception type: HttpException
        Exception message: The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write access to 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files'.

I opened up access to this directory structure for write access and the setup wizard then worked.

may be worth a try ?  I am no W2k3 expert so if this is a massive security hole then it's at your risk.

Cheers

Euan

• Hi!

I had the same problem before, I tryed all the issues commented above and also removed C:\Intetpub\Solarwinds Folder, then executed the Wizard again and it worked.

You can try it, good luck.

Regards,

Martin.

• There is also a permission checker utility in the program files Orion directory you can run