This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion Maps - Track History

We have started to convert our existing Network Atlas Maps to the new Orion Maps and appear to have stumbled across an issue when we select the option to track history of the map.

All goes well until we try and track the history of the 11th Map, where we are unable to enable the track history as it is greyed out.

If we turn the track history off on an existing map, the option becomes available.

It appears as if there is a limit on the number of maps that you can simultaneously track at any given time.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or know if this is a current limitation of the Orion Maps that will alter as the Orion Maps continue to evolve.

We have over 25 maps that we would like to track all of the time for historical troubleshooting issues.

• There is a limit to this feature of 10 maps total

• I wonder if this limitation can be changed?  You would think this would be unlimited since the data that is being used is from statistics that are already historical.   If the only thing that is needed is storage, I would think most of us can add that.   This would be of great use if I could track all my maps. 

•  

This is the reply i got back from  

There are limitations which were put in place in order to ensure you do not impact both performance of Orion and/ or your database.  Storing these maps take into account all the details such as the entities and all their properties, their position on the canvas, status at each interval, their connections/ relationships at each interval, and the status and metrics of those connections, etc... This can add up to a lot of data, and queries necessary to obtain that data. It would be good to keep an eye on your environment to ensure you do not cause any issues.   

Time Travel can be completely disabled and these settings are only available via Advanced Configuration Settings (your Orion ip/Orion/Admin/Advancedconfiguration/Global.aspx). Here are some of the current settings.  Historical Tracking can only be enabled by an Admin. Maps with this feature enabled can only consist of up to 100 entities max. 10 total maps can utilize this feature, and retention is set for 7 days. The snapshot interval is also set for 10 minutes. Keep an eye on performance if you choose to increase MaxMaps.

•  -  is correct - there are limitations set - but as mentioned in that response he shared, they can be adjusted. It however is not unfortunately as simple or as easy as just adding more storage to accommodate more maps. Everyone's environment will likely be different so I would encourage you to monitor and make changes where necessary. If you did something like expanded the snapshot interval to 20 minutes, you could double the number of maps you enable historical tracking on fairly easily.  

Would love to hear some feedback on things that this feature helped you identify in your environments as well.

•  

The time travel feature has helped us to get to the bottom of an issue that we had been repeatedly seeing each weekend over a period of several months.

On checking alerts and notifications from the network we would see a large number of devices in a particular section of our network go unobtainable without any planned maintenance or scheduled works that we were aware of.

By using this feature we could easily see exactly what set of devices were going down first and what the impact was on that remaining section of the network. It turned out that the same pair of devices were going down at the same time almost every weekend.

This enabled us to focus our attention on a specific part of the network, where it turns out that our local energy supplier for the area was carrying out planned maintenance, which they thought wasn't impacting any local businesses as their substation was out in the country, but we had a feed coming from that substation to power that part of our network but they were unaware.

The works appeared to have completed now, but having this ability earlier would have identified our issue earlier.

•  AWESOME story!  Thanks for sharing!

• Thank you.    I will increase slowly and see what impact this has. 

• I have modified the advanced settings for historical maps from 10 to 32.   So far I do not see any hit to my pollers CPU/Memory, nor has my database space decreased significantly.  I will keep increasing in small increments. 

Obviously, this is my experience.  Others will have to move slowly to figure out if this is possible in their environments.