cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Orion DB migration from SQL 2008 to SQL 2016

Hi,

We would like to upgrade our existing DB in SQL 2008 to SQL 2016. Below is the plan which we created.

1. Take backup of existing DB in SQL 2008

2. Create a new server with Windows 2016 OS 64 bit

3. Install MS SQL 2016 SP1 Standard in the new server

4. Copy the backup(from SLQ 2008 DB) into the new SQL 2016 Database

5. Run configuration wizard in the Primary polling engine and addition polling engines

6. Check the application functionality

Can some one please review this. We need to know mainly on the restoring of backup from SQL 2008 to SQL 2016.

Is there any issues foreseen in this plan?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 11

Hello Team,

I know its old thread but I have questions:

I am planning to upgrade SQL server 2012 to 2016 on the same server ( don't want to migrate on the new server due to some issue) and currently using windows 2012 R2, can we do that?

Is there prerequisite which needs to be followed?

I am also looking to upgrade SolarWinds windows server 2012 R2 to 2016, can we do parallel?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Level 9

Hi Sreenathmp,

Your Steps are OK

Last week, I completed this same upgrade from SQL 2008 R2 SP3 to SQL 2016 SP1 with no issues. In my case, it was an in-place upgrade on the same physical server. It must be 2008 R2 SP3 or SP4 to be able to do a direct upgrade to 2016. I did a demo/pilot upgrade first - it was very helpful. Then the new Orion installer is an awesome one run upgrade all module piece - Thanks to SolarWinds for the improved installer.

Your module versions will sure require multiple steps to get to the latest version. I will suggest downloading NPM installer 12.1 and 12.2. It will help upgrade all your other components.

If you use SQL management studio, then download/install version 16.5.3 for the 2016 SQL. version 17.x has issues with the management plan wizard

Hope this helps a bit

Level 16

Those steps look good don't forget to deactivate your licenses so that you can reactivate on the server also please see KB below for any further tips.

Migrating an Orion Platform Product Installation - Video - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Suppo...

0 Kudos

You shouldn't need to de-activate any license if you are just migrating your SQL Server, as the license is for the SolarWinds applications. The specific steps are in this part of the KB

Migrate the SolarWinds Orion SQL database to a new server - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Supp...

- David Smith

Thanks David for the suggestion. Also the new DB which we plan will be having the below sizing. Can you please tell me if this is the required one.

Orion DB32 vCPU, 3.0GHz128GB100GB/2.0 TBWin Server 2016 64bitMS SQL 2016 SP1 Enterprise

The modules which we are using is as below.

Solarwinds Modules

Latest version available

NPM

1. 12.2

SAM

1. 6.6

NTA

1. 4.2.3

VNQM

1. 4.4.1

WPM

NCM

1. 7.7

IPAM

1. 4.6

UDT

1. 3.3

VIM

1. 8.2

Toolset

1. 11.0.6

Around 4000 devices needs to be monitored with this environment. Based on the number of elements to be monitored we will be having 3 additional polling engines also in our environment. Along with this there will be integration with VMan also. Our data retention period is for 1 year.

0 Kudos

According to the multi-module guideline, the above specs look correct.

Orion multi-module system guidelines - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

0 Kudos

I would agree, the only thing I would suggest is in terms of NetFlow (NTA) I suspect SolarWinds are about to drop NTA 4x by the end of the month into GA release, and that version has moved onto SQL 2016 server, if you intended to move to that version and wanted to host the NTA DB on the same SQL Server you might just want to spec the storage accordingly and make sure you partition the drives nicely (there are some good guides available).

Otherwise, it all looks good

- David Smith
0 Kudos

HI David,

Is it like with new version of NTA, flow database will be in SQL 2016?

0 Kudos

Yes - The NTA 4.4 (Which is currently in Release Candidate, due to be GA very soon) will require SQL Server 2016 to host the database, SolarWinds are moving away from FastBit. If you don't have SQL2016 then you can stay on NTA 4.2.3 no problem. Just something to consider in your future planning.

- David Smith
0 Kudos