cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 10

On some workstations NPM can't find all items

Hey all, I'm running a new install of NPM 10.1.1 and have a bit of a problem--not all of the workstations I discover seem to be fully discoverable. I have several workstations that show up as XP machines but I don't get any Interface or Volume information from them. I've confirmed that the Community strings are correct and that the Orion server is allowed access, I've tried configuring WMI and I've uninstalled and reinstalled SNMP. I thought this problem might be hardware-specific but I just did a quick report and there are different hardware combos. In fact, some workstations show up and some don't even though they have the same configuration. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: On some workstations NPM can't find all items

Do the workstations have SNMP enabled and configured?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Yes, I've confirmed that all of the workstations have SNMP correctly configured.

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

I'd take a packet capture from the Orion server filtered on one of the workstations that are not showing up. That will probably expose the issue.

0 Kudos
Level 10

I did a capture on both a cooperative and an uncooperative workstation and I don't see anything out of order; they're both sending back information. Is there something specific I can look for? One thing I learned is that the Community String is passed in clear text. That surprised me.I'm pretty new to SNMP so I'm still in the early learning stage.

FWIW all outgoing packets are flagged as having a bad checksum. That's for the cooperative and uncooperative workstations. Does that tell you anything?

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos