This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Offline orion installation...really?

Hello,

I am attempting SW Orion NPM upgrades to NPM 12.2 in order to remediate STIG vulnerability ID  V-41036. Unfortunately, all of the servers this needs to performed on are in fact not internet accessible. So, First I downloaded the Solarwinds-Orion-NPM-12.2-OfflineInstaller.exe. Ok right? not so much and a couple of interesting discoveries. Strangely, when I run this virgin absolute latest (from what I can tell) offline installer. one of the first screens of it it that "a new installer is available and it wants to download. How is that since I just downloaded it from the customer portal??Dunno. anyways, I chose to skip this and proceed... a little confusing but OK I've seen stranger things. the the installer wizard runs a series of pre-deployment tests. Here's the meat of my post purpose. The test results are shown with "No internet connection detected. Installation cannot continue"...can't seem to skip past this. Also, for some odd reason, the installer discovers that I also have NCM and UDT installed, lists them as some "manual upgrades are necessary" (for NCM) and insists on doing so. I am not seeing a way I can De-Select these and simply continue with NPM only. Ultimately, the installer cannot continue and actually claims "download the offline installer" and gives me a link...so what the heck, I do it again and again. this time I downloaded the Solarwinds-Orion-OfflineInstaller.exe, which appears to be the exact 2.7GB painful download and results the exact same way... So will you help a fellow American out who's down on his luck?...can anyone shed some light on this situation? ALL and ANY Feedback will be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance, Tony

• Hi Tony,

What version of software are you currently running and on what Windows platform? Have you upgraded your .NET as I believe 12.2 requires .NET 4.6.2 whilst 12.1 only required .NET 4.5. Sadly the offline installer does NOT include that package it tries to download it, which might explain the prompt for connectivity. If you can upgrade .NET first and then try again and see what happens.

As for the installer detecting additional modules, it would be a good idea to check your installed applications to ensure there are no residual trial or evaluation modules that need to be uninstalled prior to upgrading. Or if you are keeping them we need to make sure they are all running a version that the offline installer is capable of jumping up to the latest.

Regards

David

• Seeing the same thing here, it's very annoying not being able to download the individual hot fixes for example for SRM 6.5 HF1 when the "offline" jumbo sized patcher can't actually function without an online connection.

More specifically - why does the offline package that was downloaded this morning need to update itself? We are already at NPM 12.2 so our .Net is already up to the required version.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Hit SKIP:

pastedImage_2.png

• Good Morning David,

Feedback provided:

Q: What version of software are you currently running and on what Windows platform?

A: The OS version is Windows Server 2012R2 and the following information is from the license details:

Top of Form

Main Orion Server Details

Orion

Module Name

Orion Platform

Version

Service Pack

None

Nodes currently monitored

Total nodes in license

unlimited

Volumes currently monitored

Total volumes in license

unlimited

NCM

Product Name

Network Configuration Manager

Version

Service Pack

None

License

Production

Allowed number of nodes

Current number of nodes

NPM

License

Production

Product Name

Network Performance Monitor

Version

Service Pack

None

Current number of interfaces

Allowed number of interfaces

unlimited

IVIM

License

Evaluation Expired

Product Name

Integrated Virtual Infrastructure Monitor

Version

Service Pack

None

Allowed number of sockets

License Type

Unknown

UDT

Module Name

User Device Tracker

Version

Service Pack

None

License

Production

Allowed number of monitored ports

Current number of monitored ports

NetPath

Module Name

NetPath

Version

Service Pack

None

Bottom of Form

Q: Have you upgraded your .NET as I believe 12.2 requires .NET 4.6.2 whilst 12.1 only required .NET 4.5.

A: During my first attempt at the latest offline installer, it did in fact mention this and appeared to install 4.6.2 (which I though was already on it per STIG). However, I will verify/re-install and re-attempt then reply here with the results.

Thank you,

Tony Serpa

System Operations; Server Team; Systems Administrator

USAICoE CIO/G6 Contractor

Telephone 520-533-8699

michael.a.serpa.ctr@mail.mil

michael.a.serpa.ctr@mail.smil.mil

• Roger that! I hear you loud and clear...I'll share whatever info arises

Thank you,

Tony Serpa

Telephone 520-533-8699

• David,

Yes, 4.6.2 was already installed. A reinstallation resulted in the same

Thank you,

Tony Serpa

Telephone 520-533-8699

• Hi Tony,

I had a Webex with support on this a little while ago, apparently the Devs are working on a fix for this, confirmed as a bug, ETA is tomorrow or Monday.

• Hi Tony,

If I am reading your reply correctly your existing environment is running NPM 12.0 which according to the Product Upgrade Advisor would require you to jump to 12.0.1 before you could jump to 12.2. could it be that the offline installer is trying to get the download file to take you that step? I would suggest you need to download the older 12.0.1 installer first and run that to bring your system upto 12.0.1 which I think is the minimum for the 12.2 offline installers.

Regards

David

• Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback and yes that has been my theory since the beginning as well. However, I discovered it as 12.0>12.1>12.2. which actually negates the "all-in-one" installer and supposedly not needing PUA anymore in my opinion. I downloaded these legacy products yesterday (all 4 GB of it) and hope to proceed today. I suggest making this more apparent to solarwinds users in the installer, not buried anywhere to minimize support incident engagements for SW staff.

Anwyho, I'll update later....I'm off to crash the server, wish me luck!

Thank you,

Tony Serpa

Telephone 520-533-8699

• Depending on who you work with in SW Support, I feel there is hope.  I had an stunningly successful experience this week through the kind help of serena​, who provided access to a new updater that has not yet been published.  We both learned some good things about the update/installation, she took away notes for corrections, I took away five pollers, that had become problematic after upgrades, and that now are working MUCH better.

Don't give up yet.  I feel something very helpful should be on the horizon for your situation.

Swift Packets!

Rick Schroeder

• I had the same issue on the day they released HF 4 for Core. After a few hours with support they confirmed that the Offline update was not updated yet. Left between a rock and a hard place we put in an emergency change to allow internet access to the APEs.

There were two takeaways I had for support and communicated this to the rep on the phone and with the ticket survey.

1. Under no circumstances should the online update not match the offline update. This was not acceptable for an enterprise product. Release it as a buddy drop instead of having it public.

2. The Hotfix 4 was not listed in the success center or my customer portal. The update was completely unexpected, we need to know what exactly is being updated for our change control process before executing the change.