This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

OID not available for temp - what options do I have?

Hello,

I have run a MIB walk against a device and I get a lot of OID/Vlaues back but no temp of the device.  However another company monitors this device, but can get this info on temp.  Do to my basic knowledge in this areas what could be the reason Orion NPM can't pict this up?  Does the device need some sort of software?

Thanks

• What device is it? Brand/Model/Firmware ?

What OID is using the other company ?

Are you running the same firmware as them?

Which MIBs are supported by this device ?

• What device is it? Brand/Model/Firmware?  It is one of many digital LCD's that have XP as the OS.  These are custom built not by us so have many different models.  What part is important to gain temp and fan speeds etc?

What OID is using the other company?  I have since found out they use an agent that runs on the OS called Guardian, it might be SNMP and WMI.

Are you running the same firmware as them? I dont understand this question.

Which MIBs are supported by this device? I ran the WIB walker from the tool set and it came back with 100's of OID's, but no the temp or fans, I can get the CPU, Memory, Disks, Nics etc.

• What part is important to gain temp and fan speeds etc?

I have since found out they use an agent that runs on the OS called Guardian

I have never worked with Oracle/BEA Guardian agents, so I do not know how we can retrieve information from it. http://egeneration.beasys.com/guardian/uihelp110/user_guide/Overview.html

If WMI is enabled, you could use the APM module to retrieve the information using Windows Script Monitor or Windows Performance Counter monitors.

The FAN status can be found in the Win32_Fan WMI Class: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394146(VS.85).aspx

The Temp probe status can be found in the Win32_TemperatureProbe WMI Class:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394493(VS.85).aspx

Are you running the same firmware as them? I dont understand this question.

I meant by this, Have you compared the softwares version (OS, Guardian agent, SNMP agent, etc.) running on your device and those running on the device of the other company? You more or less replied to it in the first response.

I ran the WIB walker from the tool set and it came back with 100's of OID's, but no the temp or fans, I can get the CPU, Memory, Disks, Nics etc.

Thanks.

So basically the information seems to be available through WMI. the APM module can poll it.

The Oracle/BEA Guardian agent is already installed but it requires some further understanding to know how to extract remotely results from it. There is probably a central console that polls all the agents...

If you find furter information about this agent, please share, I will be interesting to further know about it :).

A work around could be to use the SNMP Informant or Net-SNMP  agents to make available the Fan and Temp status through SNMP.

Thanks,

Yann

• I have just installed the 30 day trial on the APM to see if this is possible, although on first impressions I'm not sure where to start.  I will have a read up and then hit the APM forum.

• Feel free to open a new thread on the APM forum and to refer it here if you face any problem.