This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Node status is up but shows an alert if one or more interfaces are down

Hi Everyone. First time poster here and just starting to learn and understand Orion NPM. I wanted to get some info on how to change the settings for a node where in, for example a swtich, the status shows as up but display a warning (greed circle with red dot on lower right). Since this is a switch, some of the interfaces are unused and therefore would show up as down. How can we setup NPM to ignore this condition and just display the node status as merely up regardless of what individual interfaces are down. TIA!

• You can not monitor those interfaces on the switch but I'm guessing you want the stats on the interfaces.  So for right now as far as I know you have to live with that little red dot on the green circle.  But your request is a long time feature request.

• Hey mate,

Welcome as a SW user.

At the moment if you are monitoring switch ports and one of them goes down it is not possible for NPM to keep the switch icon green. This would be a great feature in the future, if it was extended so that you could configure switch ports into groups for instance user ports and trunk ports. Then have all the user ports not affect the status of the switch.

I believe the our friends in SW development may already have this as a feature request. We dont monitor the user interface for precisely this reason in that it messes up the maps and makes things look worse than they are:-)

Kind Regards

Miron

• Thanks for the info guys, so look like this is on the wishlist for a future release of NPM. It's just annoying to see those red dots blinking away even though everything is fine. Has anyone figured out a work around? One thing we could try is to disable monitoring for all the ports but that diminshes the monitoring functionality of NPM.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Miron

In the next version of NPM, we will provide a mode that allows users to set certain interfaces to show "unplugged" rather than "down".  When an interface is unplugged, they won't show as a blinking square. 

• Hi all,

The following thread can help you if you are using the Node With Problems resource.

Regards,

Yann

• Hi Yann. Call be a noob but where exactly whould I need to paste this SQL filter in NPM?

• No worries,

If you are using the Node With Problems resource and you are logged in the webconsole with an admin account you should have an edit button on the top right of the resource, which redirects you to a new page where you can edit the resource properties. The filter should clean up the resource to only show your nodes that are really down meanwhile the next release.

See attached image.