This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Node details update information

Hello,,

I want to ask, if I change information in network devices, why Solarwinds not update automatically?

I change location, harddisk, etc.. and information in Node Details is not update

anybody can help?

thank you

• When I encounter this issue, I usually just restart services using Orion Service Manager, which fairly quickly updates the missing information

• so, default is not automatically update itself?

thanks

• When I change settings or add or change hardware within an existing node, I simply click "Rediscover" and "Poll Now" on the node in NPM.  Then, if I added more ports, I click "List Resources" and make sure those extra ports are added to NPM and UDT.

When I replace a monitored node completely, while retaining the same management address, I delete the node and re-add it, to ensure I don't end up with incorrect interfaces.  For example, swapping out an older 2960 10/100 switch with a 3850 switch, if I give the 3850 the same management IP address of the 2960, NPM will still believe the node has 24 or 48 10/100 "Fa" ports.  And that's a problem.  NPM will discover all the new "Gi" ports, but will NOT remove the Fa ports from its list--it will only gray them out.

One would hope that manual or automatic rediscovery would do this, but only manual removal and re-adding the node covers this.

• The caption field never changes itself, that prevents it from removing changes you may have manually entered in. But there are sys name and dns fields that would update whenever discovery runs (30 min by default).  Sometimes I run a report to see all the nodes where caption is not the same as sys name or dns to see if I need to update them. I rarely set things up to auto update the captions because I've found it is kind of dicey, but it could be done.