cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Node Interfaces are Unknown even though it passes SNMP credentials

Hi All,

We are seeing node status as Unknown even though the device is managed in NPM and it passed SNMP credentials as well.. Can somebody tell me how to fix this please?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies

I also faced the same problem for one of my windows server. I changed the polling engine of that node and it started showing status up. Then i again re-assigned the previous polling engine and now it's working.

Hope it helps to solve your issue.

0 Kudos

In my case, it's happening for virtual machine's not all but some of them intermittently. When i do list resources again same interface got discovered with same name and showing status up.

0 Kudos
Level 9

Is this happening to a single node, all nodes, or a few of them?

Have you tried to restart the Orion services?

I have seen issues like this when the ifindex (identifier that SNMP uses to poll info details about an interface) is not persistent, if the ifindex changes it might stop polling for the status of the interface, or polling the incorrect one.

What is the vendor and model of the node you are having issues with?

In Cisco devices there is a commando to have ifindex set as persistent.

Catalyst 6500 Release 12.2SX Software Configuration Guide - SNMP IfIndex Persistence [Cisco Catalyst...

Level 9

Hi , Unfortunately setting the SNMP if index persistent didnt fix the issue . Still we could see the Interface status are unknown in Solarwinds.

When I deleted the Interface and re enable it again through list resource for few seconds it is showing UP and again going to Unknown status. This is really affecting our visibility to the device status , especially it affects in netflow as mainly the interface details are important for netflow . I have already raised a case with vendor and they suggested to apply hot fix 4 , even after applying still the issue remains open.

This is occuring for ISR series , Cisco 3925 series as well and still there are other versions having the same issue in solarwinds.

Level 9

Sorry to hear that.

Have you tried restarting all Solarwinds services?

If you do an SNMP walk for the interfaces do you see the same IfIndex that NPM is showing for the interface in question?

You can try a walk for the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2, this will provide the interface name or description, the last digit will be index.

Hope this helps.

Level 9

So I have found out the problem and found a workaround!. The problem is these interfaces are unknown specifically in one particular polling engine. When I changed the device polling to a different polling engine, everything is working as expected. We have moved our critical devices to a new polling engine now . But what makes me to wonder is there is some missing components in the problematic polling engine that makes it not to poll the interfaces or probably makes the Interface status as Unknown.

How to find what are the components installed in working polling engine and non working polling engine for these Interface related problems  ?

Level 9

I think this is a good start to enable the SNMP if index in all the devices. We use Cisco vendor devices in our environment. Let me try this and update you. Thanks for your headsup.

Level 10

Is this after you have fully added the node into the managed nodes? What is your polling interval set to?

0 Kudos
Level 9

Yes, the nodes are fully managed in our NPM. The polling interval is set for 120 seconds. Still not sure why our interfaces details are unknown.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Select the troubled node within the "Manage Nodes" section of NPM. Then click "List Resources" if you have the option to force a refresh after the listed resources for that node show up, do this as well. Are they still showing as unknown?

0 Kudos
Level 9

Yes, tried this many times. Still no luck. Same result.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hmmm. I see this often with my servers since they tend to get vMotioned every now and again and NPM is unable to detect the change of the NIC. What kind of device is this being polled?

0 Kudos
Level 9

I see this mainly for networking devices ( Routers, switches , Firewalls )

0 Kudos
Level 10

Sounds like something might be off with the OID's being polled then on these devices, if everything is correct already SNMP wise. When was the last time you have updated the MIB database for NPM? Below are some good links for getting network devices showing as 'Unknown' corrected. If you're able to get them into NPM and at least get their initial status as 'UP, my guess is that it would have to come down to what SolarWinds has in the MIB database for those specific interfaces being polled.

Cannot find OIDs? Update the SolarWinds MIB Database

Tell Us Your Unkown Devices v2.0

0 Kudos
Level 9

Let me update the MIB database and then check . Thanks for sharing this Information. I will post the status once updating the mibs.

0 Kudos
Level 10

borgan is correct, but here is the link I found that actually explains this in detail: Orion MIB Database – What Is It Good For?

And to quote it:

"What, then, is the MIB database not used for, even though most people think it is? The most common belief is that the MIB database is used to identify devices. Orion NPM automatically recognizes a very large number of devices automatically, with no configuration. When a new device is added via discovery or via the add-a-node wizard, Orion does an SNMP query, pulls back an OID called the sysobjectID. A reasonable assumption would be that Orion is checking this OID against the MIB database. Reasonable, yet wrong. Orion compares this value with a completely different database to identify the vendor, machine type, etc. Therefore, when you add a device that Orion doesn’t recognize, updating the MIB database won’t help. It’s the sysobjectID database that needs to be updated and that only happens with releases and service packs. It’s not part of the weekly MIB database update."

Are you able to attach a screen shot of what the node actually looks like within your instance of NPM?

0 Kudos
Level 9

So I have updated the MIBS , still getting the same error. But when I delete the Interfaces and give list interfaces again and enabled it , for 2 minutes device interfaces are showing up and going to unknown status again. I have raised a case with vendor as well.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Unfortunately, updating the Orion MIB database will not help with your issue. The MIB database is used ONLY as a reference for the Universal Device Poller tool. The link you referenced clearly states this fact.

0 Kudos