This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Node Details - Missing Machine Type

We recently upgraded some devices on the network. I have tried deleting and re-adding them but it still will not poll and display Machine Type in Node Details.

One example is a Cisco ISR4331

I have tried creating a custom poller but then I lost other details.

Any help would be great, Thanks.

• If you update the SNMP details (if changed, and your login creds - if needed) and verify of your credentials shows green - simply click on Rediscover. Let that run and within a few minutes refresh and you should see a new device type. The system OID should update.

If the system OID is not updating then its a discovery issue and check credentials. If the OID changes but still says unknown or simply 'Cisco'  on the machine type you may try updating your MIB DB (mibs.cfg) on your server.

• Ok, I updated the MIB DB, it had been awhile to be fair. Restarted all services and did a rediscover a few times on that node and Machine Type is still blank.

* Actually it does say Cisco now, I think it was completely blank before. *

• So some progress, but not enough to be satisfied.  I still have many devices showing only as Cisco... and though insights limited, it may open up a few options for the hardware health monitoring depending on your NPM version.

I would say, add your Expected Machine Type, Model # and System OID to this posting : Tell us your "Unknown" devices!  

From there cultivate your UnDP's to poll for needed alert values ; or hone the trap and syslog alerting....

*SW will pick it up sooner or later - actually I think it would be nice to know what two or three people review this to do snmp walks on these devices to then integrate them into the SW Hardware health and other metric monitoring - but that's Switch of a different port number count*

• How often do they update the mib database / how often do they manually add everything that people request there?

• I am not quite sure of the exact frequency but if you log into the Customer Portal you can see the date and size when you download it. Compare that to your current file to see if an update is relevant.

I believe it is updated several times a year, just unsure of exact progress.

• jokerfest,

This link may be helpful to you: Cisco IOS MIB Locator​.

Not sure if you are able to load the .cfg file into notepad an add your own device manually, but that may be an option if the device type isn't listed.  Also, make sure if that is successful you post the correct OID/MIBs to the link above to help other folks out.

-Bryan

• If you go this route - make sure you save your additions into a separate file - and with each new MIBs.cfg released you may need to re-add those specific devices back into the file.

• Good tip. I'd like to think that I would have thought to do that. Chances are I would have thought of it too late.

• Not too late so long as you get your goal accomplished.  Let me know how that works out for you, because that idea dawned on me thanks to cahunt.  That is something I am going to have to do for some of our Juniper devices, I just hadn't gotten to that item on my to-do list.

• What polling method are you using? I am using SNMPv3 on all of my network gear and am not experiencing an issue like you. I do have one Cisco ISR 4431 online and it is reporting correctly. Under Communication, I left it with default of Auto Determine.