cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhidians
Level 11

Re: No, really, how DO you get UCS Blade Status?

Your question definitely still stands and I would like an answer to that to

It's grand to have the chassis, but would be nice to see the blades as well in a more joined up way.

jeremymayfield
Level 15

I really hope this gets solved soon, regards of how, custom MIB, something, I would think Solarwinds would have an interest in this since there is quite a few of these out there now.  I would be surprised if the HP blades and other blade systems don't work similar, but i know for our UCS, we have the same problem as above. 

0 Kudos
rschroeder
Level 21

Have you checked out this process?  monitoring ucs

If you don't find a satisfactory solution, I think it's time to call Solarwinds Technical Support and request assistance.

0 Kudos
dmeiser
Level 10

Yes, that is the process that doesn't work.  I'm wondering if anybody outside their lab has it working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rschroeder
Level 21

It's disappointing if this documentation, which appears to show NPM displaying useful UCS discoveries, is in accurate:

Orion NPM 10.1 Meet the Features – Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) Support

0 Kudos
rhidians
Level 11

Maybe it is a lack of understanding on my part and if so I'd happily take a good set of instructions.

The reason I say that is the oriondemo site and this resouce:

http://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/DetachResource.aspx?ViewID=390&ResourceID=4572&NetObject=N%3a5...

pastedImage_1.png

And it works, the blades are linked and take you to the node (Blade or fabric switch). Try it

PavelSuchy comment on the 10.1 product blog was "FI and blades must be properly configured on the UCS to support this."

So now my question is how do you properly configure the blades / switch?

dmeiser
Level 10

cobrien​ and stevenwhunt​ this is what I'm trying to accomplish - I just need to know what SolarWinds did to get this working in a lab.  Is it a combination of having the Operating System on the blade under WMI/SNMP monitoring + the SNMP monitoring of the chassis or is it more to do with the SNMP configuration?  I'm imagining that the lab doesn't have everything labeled as "chassis-1", "blade-1" and so on, so it feels like an SNMP configuration thing?

kmillerusaf
Level 11

Appears that I have this working and I believe it's been working for some time now. NPM version is 12.0.1. UCS version is 2.2(5b)

If I remember correctly, all that was needed was to insert the UCS credentials when adding UCS Manager as a node.

ScreenHunter_28 Mar. 01 08.43.jpg

lfransen
Level 11

Is there any special rights or permissions the account must have in UCS to get this info? Like admin rights?

vinay.by
Level 16

Hi dmeiser

You can add each blade as a separate node and status gets linked onto your UCS Overview Page.

Go back to same page UCS Overview, left mouse click on blade-1 and add it to monitoring(/manage) on your Solarwinds. Then refresh your UCS Overview page and check if you can see the status of the blade (after you add it as a node to solarwinds).

Follow the same for rest of the blades.

You might not like this, but yes it works.