This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Newbie with an annoying common question on NPM elements

Hi Thwack,

Newbie here with an annoying common question on NPM elements. I know this has been answered before elements but if I have say 332 nodes at a sites and we shopping for an NPM SL500 licensing (I am trying to beat Nagios on price, I know lol). I know for a fact our project only cares about basic SNMP (CPU, RAM, HDD, basic network for the 3 mini sites). So if I go in and remove all interfaces in NPM except 1 per node from monitoring (see link below) and we only have 1 volume per node then we can fit in a SL500 license correct? There is such a big jump from SL500 to SL2000 and management is stuck on Nagios price. I've tried to explain its an inferior project to Solarwinds but they wont listen. Please help me by answer my question of if I go in and remove all interfaces in NPM except 1 per node from monitoring (see link below) and we only have 1 volume per node then we can fit in a SL500 license correct?

https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/Remove-multiple-interfaces-from-the-web-console?language=en_US

• Check with sales, or set up a 30 day trial to see it in action, but here is what I think. I think the Node, disk, and interface are each an element in your situation for the NPM license. So if you had 332 devices, with 1 disk and 0 interfaces you wanted stats from, that would be 664 elements. You might be able to get the additional elements from the packs of 100 or 250 element packs, but I would actually just tell the sales person that you need the 2000 level license, and you need to beat the pricing Nagios gave which is whatever price you have from them. Renewal will be at the standard cost, but that is over time and easier to budget once you have it. I would bet SolarWinds wants you as a customer more then they want the up front sale amount. Feel free to message me directly if you want to chat.
  • Thanks JM,

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/NPM/Content/NPM_Licensing_Model.htm

Isn't NPM licensing model based on largest number of the following types of monitored elements? Its not the SUM of those 3 different elements. So if I had 332 devices, with 1 disk and 1 interfaces I wanted stats from, that would be 332 elements. 332 nodes, 332 interfaces and 332 volumes the largest of those three is 332.

Nodes: any devices being monitored, such as routers, switches, virtual and physical servers, access points, and modems.

Interfaces: any single points of network traffic, such as switch ports, physical interfaces, virtual interfaces, sub-interfaces, and VLANs.

Volumes: any logical disks being monitored.

• I may be wrong, my license is older and doesn't work like that, but that article supports your argument. I agree that says if you keep the total items under 500 for node/interface/volume you should be good. 

• Your idea should be correct. But go to Orion website then SETTINGS>All Settings, then scroll page down to Details section and select Orion Platform Details. You may find there current numbers as below in red frame:

JaroslawLadyga_1-1603802937802.png

So you may checkout how many elements you really monitor.