This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Newbie question - Upgrade Procedure when you have multiple servers

FormerMember
FormerMember

The upgrade advisor is nice as it tell me in which order to upgrade the software modules( SAM, IPAM, etc ) , but what about the procedures shutting down services, installing the upgrades, and starting services back up again?

In my prod setup I have

Primary Orion Server

Several APE's servers

NTA Flow Db server

MS SQL Server

Say I am upgrading IPAM. Technically, that affects all on the primary server the SQL Server  ( assuming database changes ). Do I run the upgrade installer on the Primary Orion Server, and don't touch anything else? Or, because the SQL Server is a shared resource, should I shut down services on the APE servers so that there is no conflict between the IPAM database changes and what the APE's are writing to the database?

This is where understanding how each component works and what resources it accesses would come in handy. Any takers?