cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

New to NPM: Can someone tell me why the percent utilization and real time data doesn't correlate?

Hi everyone,

Brand new NPM setup here. On a 100Mb interface that we are monitoring, the real time data shows as having spikes in percent utilization well above 100%. However, the percent utilization graph right below it shows that the line never gets above 100%. I found this help article, but I honestly don't know if that's the problem as I do not know what the device counter OID is set to (RealtimePollRateSecondsInterfaces is set to 1 second currently). Can anyone help me understand or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

pastedImage.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 12

What kind of interface are you reporting on?  Is a port channel or virtual interface combining more than one interface?

I am not sure about SolarWinds but some monitoring tools will read the 'bandwidth' statement (vs interface speed) from the interface config and use that for reporting.  If your WAN provider supports bursting you can configure to go over your configured amount and see higher than 100% usage for short periods of time.

0 Kudos
Level 11

It's just a physical gigabit port on a router. However, the link for some reason shows 100Mb on the router and 1Gb on the switch on the other end - which could be the underlying problem. It seems to read fine in the bottom graph, though, which is why I am confused. The Cisco cli shows the same thing but there aren't any explicit bandwidth settings set on the link to cause it to be 100Mb (cabling is fiber).

Is the bottom graph more of an average then, and weeds out the outliers/bursts? Just curious which graph to trust and why the 24-hour line never goes beyond 100% if the real time data says otherwise.

Thanks!

0 Kudos