cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Network Discovery "Discovers" Devices, But Does Not Import Multiple Devices At Once.

Jump to solution

Case # 76595 - Network Sonar Discovery will "discover" many devices, but will only import them 1 or 2 at a time.

Seemingly simple issue I am encountering, where I can set a range of IPs to be discovered, the Network Sonar Discovery process sees the devices, but will only show 1 or 2 in the results. I can go back in, and edit the same profile, removing the previously added IP from the scope. When I run that same/updated profile, the discovery will show the remaining devices discovered, but will only display the next device on the list when I make it to the final few pages. Other than the initial scope, I am not changing any other settings. All of these devices are able to communicate with the SolarWinds server, and all of these devices are eventually added to the server, albeit one at a time.

In the example below, I know there are 3 devices living in the range of 10.145.255.7-10 (.7, .8, & .10). Each of the devices is configured the same way, with the same SNMP settings.

Network Sonar Wizard_20180328_0958.png

The discovery process shows that it sees 3 devices while it is running.

Network Sonar Discovery_20180328_1003.png

However, once passed the discovery phase, the import preview page only shows the first device.

Network Sonar Wizard_20180328_1006.png

I can import that device, the same as if it were the only device I had expected to see/import. Then, I go and reduce the scope of the discovery, removing that specific IP.

Now, instead of looking for .7-.10, the scope is now looking for .8-.10.

Network Sonar Wizard_20180328_1007.png

Once again, the discovery phase appears to find everything it is looking for.

Network Sonar Discovery_20180328_1008.png

Yet, once we get passed the discovery phase, the import process only shows the next/first device on the list, again.

Network Sonar Wizard_20180328_1010.png

Again, since we were only able to import a single device, we need to adjust the profile, reducing the scope, and run it again.

Having removed the first 2 IPs, we are now only looking through .9 & .10.

Network Sonar Wizard_20180328_1010-c.png

Yet again, again, again, we all expected devices show up during the discovery process. (granted, we are down to only having 1 device, as the others have already been removed)

Network Sonar Discovery_20180328_1013.png

The import process still shows only a single device. While this is technically expected for this example, as there were only 3 devices total, this same behavior occurs with any number of devices being discovered.

Network Sonar Wizard_20180328_1014-b.png

I have tried this with IP ranges, as well as a list of IPs, each combination resulting in the same manner. The nodes are not using duplicate IPs, and they appear to import/monitor properly, just one at a time.

What am I doing wrong here? Is this a "known bug", or just some setting I have overlooked?

Perhaps serena​ or aLTeReGo​ could learn me something... Please?

Thank you,

-Will

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Product Manager
Product Manager

From the screenshot, it looks as though this is the same device with different IPs, or different devices with the same hostname. With that said, you're likely running into Network Sonar's deduplication capability. The following KB article walks you through how to disable deduplication for discovery.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

From the screenshot, it looks as though this is the same device with different IPs, or different devices with the same hostname. With that said, you're likely running into Network Sonar's deduplication capability. The following KB article walks you through how to disable deduplication for discovery.

View solution in original post

aLTeReGo​​ Yes, these were 3 completely separate devices/IPs, each having the same default sysname. We had seen this issue at random times in the past, but never needed to follow through with it. Just spent the last 90 minutes on the phone with support, then your message pops up. I made the suggested changes to the config file, re-ran the discovery profile, and all devices showed up, in both the discovery phase, as well as the import phase. I reckon I can close out that support ticket now.


Thank you very much for that exceedingly accurate answer of vanquishing. Lesson learned, and link bookmarked.

-Will