cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 15

Network Discover Ignore List

Jump to solution

I see when you run a network discovery you have the ability to add a device to an ignore list. 

Is this list global meaning will the device be ignored by any discovery or just the one you ignored it on? 

Can this list be manually edited?  I have a number of duplicate nodes thanks to Solarwinds inability to handle multiple IPs on a node (a completely different matter that has been mentioned numerous times but never corrected) and I would like to go and add these to the list in advance instead of having to try and find them after a discovery.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Workaround.

Ok so I figured out a workaround to this issue that doesn't involve manipulating the database.

I took my list of devices that I want to ignore and I created a discovery using ICMP only (for a quicker runtime) and used my list as the specific nodes for the discovery.  Once the discovery was completed I simply added all my nodes to the ignore list.

Yes this is more cumbersome but it is a solution to my issue using what we have available.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Level 14

The ignore list applies to all discoveries. You can manually edit ignored node, interface, and volume lists directly in the database, but this is not a supported use case.

Note: SolarWinds recommends creating a backup of your SolarWinds database before attempting ANY database manipulation. For more information about creating database backups, see "Creating Database Backups" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide.

HTH,

0 Kudos

Ok well then I guess that leads to a feature request.  I don't understand why a node has to be first discovered to then be ignored.  Wouldn't it make more sense if I as an administrator has a list that I would be able to import that list and have it blocked from any discovery?  It seems awfully manual to go through a discovery of 2000 devices to find the 10 that I need to ignore.

What would really be nice if once a device is in monitoring for me to be able to delete it and potentially have it ignored from further discoveries.

0 Kudos

Basically, as it works now, NPM discovers devices, tells you what it found, and then asks you for direction as to what devices, of all discovered, can/should be ignored in the future.

I'll mark this post for our PMs to consider:

• adding an additional step to indicate what can be ignored before discovery starts.
  • adding an option to mark a deleted device for perpetual non-discovery

Thanks,

Andrew thank you.

The real reason this is such a problem for me is the duplicate nodes.  I have switches with anywhere from 1-10 IP addresses.  Only one of which I want in monitoring so I have to go find the specific ones I don't want.  A potential work around I'm considering is cleaning up my network and then rescheduling the discovery and looking only at new nodes I think this might help but it still seems awfully manual.

0 Kudos

The real reason this is such a problem for me is the duplicate nodes. 

Andrew,

I'm with mdriskell on the duplicate node issue.  Please include a feature request to add a discovery option to "Resolve duplicate Node addresses to Loopback address (if configured)".  Scheduled discovery is worthless to us until this functionality is added.  The only benefit discovery is for us is to bulk add a group of ip addresses.

I hope you have seen this thread as well here.

0 Kudos

rgward,

Our Project managers will see this request.

Thank you,

0 Kudos

Workaround.

Ok so I figured out a workaround to this issue that doesn't involve manipulating the database.

I took my list of devices that I want to ignore and I created a discovery using ICMP only (for a quicker runtime) and used my list as the specific nodes for the discovery.  Once the discovery was completed I simply added all my nodes to the ignore list.

Yes this is more cumbersome but it is a solution to my issue using what we have available.

View solution in original post

Good idea mdriskell!

0 Kudos