This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Atlas - wireless heat map - how to map a building with multiple floors?

I'm moving from Cisco Prime to SolarWinds.  I want to create wireless heat maps, but it doesn't seem to allow for multiple floors in a building.  Am I missing something, or does this feature not exist?  If the feature doesn't exist, what do other people do for triangulation of clients?  Thanks.

• You are correct, no multi floor triangulation exists in atlas. I would say that in years of consulting I have never seen anyone that reliably got the wifi client mapping in atlas to be what they hoped it would be. The ROI for the hassle of setting it up and trying to keep it accurate has never been there for anyone I spoke to.

Compared to Prime the wireless heat mapping capabilities inside Atlas are pretty minimal. Also worth being aware that atlas is slowly in the process of being phased out in favor of the new mapping built directly into the web interface, but they have made no moves so far to build any wireless heat mapping into the web based maps. I bring it up just to set your expectation correctly in that I would be shocked if any development effort is directed toward atlas at all in the future.

Basically letting you know that giving yourself a ulcer trying to make it work is not worth it.
  • Thanks for the reply.  I guess I should not spend the 100+ hours of creating all these maps (I will have over 100 if there's 1 per floor) and wait on the new mapping utility.  I looked around the web menus, and I didn't see anything about mapping, do you know where that is?