Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Network Atlas Link on Selt configures line with one assignment

Jump to solution

Hi

We are using a lot of MPLS networks in our WAN.

And while I was making a map over a portion of our WAN i thought, I'll just draw a line and make it dependent on the MPLS interface in the Branch office switch!!!

But when I viewed the map in Orion the line was black, without any status, and some of the lines had even  lost the connection to the interface so link and mouse over didn't work

I was pretty disappointed by that and thought o'hh well mayby I will add assignment of one of our HQ MPLS interfaces, that represent the lines ok.

But when I viewed it in Orion again the line had status, but it was down due to no connection between the interfaces.

Are we down to that it is impossible to display a line in a map that does not have CDP discovery ???

I have found other complaints about this and they are from 5 years back, this looks to me as a bug but would they not have fixed it in 5 years??

Am I missing a step here, if I am please let me know

Regards Jens W

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

In Network Atlas, you could use a tool tip variable to show the admin status.

Interface variables for Network Atlas tooltips

So if you create a link and add a label, you could change the label to reflect ${AdminStatus}.  This will be an integer value however and not the enumerated version.  Some customers drag the interface out as an object on the map as well in these cases. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

Hello Jens -

There are some limitations when creating or using manual links within Network Atlas.  Unfortunately you are correct that they will not have a correlating status.  You can of course change the color of the link, but that will not changed based on any polled value.  It sounds like you figured out how to change the assignments... if you haven't please let me know.  The "Connect Now" based links that can automatically be mapped and show utilization simply stem from what you would see within the NPM topology resource from a node details page. 

For example, the connections that will automatically be mapped will be any link in which we see the interface on both sides.  These connections are identified through a number of methods which include CDP, LLDP, ARP info and more.   

pastedImage_0.png

In the manual links, you can also take advantage of using custom labels to show particular metrics in the map by inputting a SWQL variable.  You can review some of those options here:  Network Atlas tooltip variables

Regardless, there is a lot we need to improve on here, and we are actively working on this as we speak.  Unfortunately it can't come fast enough.  The project to accomplish these improvements is a massive one, and hopefully you have seen some of the initial phases in which we have made some changes.

Orion Platform 2018.2 Improvements - Chapter Two - Intelligent Mapping

Orion Platform Improvements - Intelligent Mapping Enhancements

These changes won't likely help you solve the type of map that you are looking to create at this moment, but hopefully they demonstrate significant changes being done to improve the way you and the rest of our customers interact with maps in Orion.  Of course I would be happy to jump on the phone and discuss what maps mean to you, and what is critical for your organization to see in a future release.  Please let me know if you would like me to schedule something.           

0 Kudos

Hi

Thank you for this indebth answer

In my map I just thought I would beable to show status of the line, from the Status of the attached interface.

Is it possible to atttach a label to the link that shows the admin status of the interface istead ??

And thank you for the links I will have a look at those

Regards Jens

0 Kudos

In Network Atlas, you could use a tool tip variable to show the admin status.

Interface variables for Network Atlas tooltips

So if you create a link and add a label, you could change the label to reflect ${AdminStatus}.  This will be an integer value however and not the enumerated version.  Some customers drag the interface out as an object on the map as well in these cases. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos