cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

NetPath Services in a NOC view (Iframes)

Hello,

So far I have been trying to find a way to get this feature on a dashboard and as anyone who has spent a ton of time on this forum, reading every thing I can find, on how to make it work and how it has been a feature request for a year. I came up with making it with Iframes, BUT there is an issue, The Iframe logs out of Solarwinds so I am constantly having to click the log in button in the Iframe.  Does anyone know how to make this stay logged in? And yes the Disable Session Timeout is set to "Yes".

Here is the code and yes it works, fine until the logout.

<div style="border: 3px solid rgb(0, 0, 255); overflow: hidden; margin: 15px auto; max-width: 1650px;">

<iframe scrolling="yes" src="/ui/netpath" style="border: 0px none; margin-left: -10px; height: 850px; margin-top: -50px; width: 1650px;">

</iframe>

</div>

Is there code I can put in the iframe to stop it from logging out the user?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Level 10

cobrien Any update or workaround on this?

0 Kudos

Afraid not.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I also had issues with timeouts whilst showing netpath in NOC mode with iframes. I logged a support ticket and this was the answer:

“Both Netpath and PerfStack will not respect the timeout setting due to a limitation in the platform.

This is scheduled to be addressed in an upcoming release.”

So unfortunately as of right now because of a Design limitation (Bug) you cannot use a Netpath resource in Custom HTML.

A feature request has been made as a result of my support ticket though, so hopefully will be fixed in a release soon.

0 Kudos

Would you mind providing the case number?

0 Kudos
Level 12

Do you have a timeout on the user account logged in? If you set that to disabled it may keep netpath up on the view, I'd imagine it's using the logged in user credentials to view it and has proper permissions in that respect.

0 Kudos

I have actually gone into all the accounts that have touched the NOC an set them all to not timeout.  I opened a ticket with Solarwinds and the "answer" is Netpath is separate in the sense of the users and groups don't settings don't apply to NetPath Services, it has been forwarded to the engineers and is a feature request. I worked also with the guys at Loop1 and netpath is new enough they didn't know why this is happening,either.

0 Kudos

Well that sucks. I would have guessed that NetPath is tied to the authenticated user. I wonder now how exactly SolarWinds did do the integration if only to satisfy my own curiosity.

0 Kudos

I asked him, what is it based on if not the authenticated user, and the answer confused me. Basically the initial log in is for security, but the timeout and most other settings are not. I would also love to know how it works, because then maybe it could be modified.

0 Kudos
Level 11

This would be great! I might have to try getting the netpath map on a NOC view.

I would add that for my NOC views I add the netpath service as an object on a map. For instance, I am using netpath from multiple branch locations to track MAPI connectivity for exchange, I have an exchange map on a NOC view and just add the netpath object to the map. When you click the object, it doesn't take you directly to that service, but it does take you to the netpath ui page.

0 Kudos

This works, BUT for my purposes shows no connection for the links. For instances, Lets say you have two data centers as hubs and 20 locations that are the spokes. If I put the dot on a location then each location will have two "dots" and you will have to decipher Which location the dot that has turned yellow or red is associated with. And before someone say put a line connecting them: the map would be too jumbled, which as I just made and tested this looks like a MESS of green at the moment.

It is a bummer that one of the coolest features (especially for execs to see what is an issue at a glance) is almost useless at the moment. Fingers Crossed for a change the next release.

0 Kudos

In the mean time I have a SWQL query that gives you some visibility into the netpaths, its still a bit of a work in progress as I have seen some edge cases where there are statuses I didn't know about, but here it is:

SELECT --esa.ProbeID

case

when esa.laststatus =0 then 'Unknown'

when esa.laststatus =1 then 'Up'

when esa.laststatus =2 then 'Down'

when esa.laststatus =3 then 'Warning'

when esa.laststatus =4 then 'Critical'

end as [Status]

,sa.ProbeName as [Source]

--, esa.EndpointServiceID

, es.DisplayName as [Destination]

, sa.detailsurl as [_linkfor_DisplayName]

, es.HostName

, es.Port

--, esa.LastStatus

--, esa.LastProbeTime

, round(t.Rtt,0) as [Latency]

,round(t.PacketLoss,0) as [Loss]

,case

when esa.laststatus =0 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-Unknown.gif'

when esa.laststatus =1 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-up.gif'

when esa.laststatus =2 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-down.gif'

when esa.laststatus =3 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-warning.gif'

when esa.laststatus =4 then '/Orion/images/StatusIcons/Small-critical.gif'

end as [_iconfor_Status]

FROM Orion.NetPath.EndpointServices es

join Orion.NetPath.EndpointServiceAssignments esa on esa.EndpointServiceID=es.EndpointServiceID

join Orion.NetPath.ServiceAssignments sa on sa.EndpointServiceID=esa.EndpointServiceID

join (SELECT distinct max(executedat)as [ExecutedAt], EndpointServiceID, ProbeID

FROM Orion.NetPath.tests t

group by EndpointServiceID, ProbeID) tops on tops.probeid=esa.probeid and tops.endpointserviceid=esa.endpointserviceid

join Orion.NetPath.Tests t on t.EndpointServiceID=es.EndpointServiceID and t.probeid=esa.probeid and tops.executedat=t.executedat

where esa.enabled='true'

order by esa.laststatus desc, esa.displayname asc

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

- Marc Netterfield, Github

Thanks Marc, I'll see what I can do with this and see if I can get close to the results I am looking for.

0 Kudos