This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need to limit DB growth NPM 10.2.2

Hey all, my NPM has been running just fine but I recently received a notice that our SQL server's hard drive (array) was getting full. I had my co-worker take a look at it and he said it's my NPM that's using up the space (this array is only 140 gigs). I'm at about 40 gigs so far and the SQL server is down to 16 gigs free. I'm running NPM SL 100 and 40 gigs for the number of devices I'm monitoring (47 nodes, 66 volumes and 87 interfaces) sounds like A LOT. Per a few Google hits I tried to take a look at the swdebug files to see if DB maintenance is running clean but a search on my NPM server for swdebug*.* shows no files found. Does anyone know of any diagnostic steps I can take to see if I need to redo some settings on my NPM? Or maybe tweak my DB maintenance?

Thanks,

Joe B

• I just checked and we're at 48.9 gigs of SolarWinds data on the SQL server; I think I'm losing about 400MB a day. Yesterday I went to Polling Statistics and changed the Daily *** Statistics retention from 365 days to 180 thinking that last night's DB maintenance would free up some space but no joy. SO, if anyone has any ideas on how to curb NPM's appetite for SQL space I'm listening.

Thanks,

Joe B

• Are you sending syslog/trap messages to Solarwinds?

What are your polling intervals for statistics?

• Hi shuth, I never configured syslog/trap messages that I know of but I did see that the SolarWinds Syslog Service is running on the server. I read something in a Google search about only keeping Warning and Critical messages. I'll look through the manual to see if I can find out how to make it drop everything else.

My Polling Intervals are:

Default Node Poll Interval -- 120 seconds    
    Default Interface Poll Interval -- 120 seconds    
    Default Volume Poll Interval -- 120 seconds

Thanks,

Joe B

• Thank you shuth! I didn't configure the alerts to be forwarded to the syslog server but I just checked and sure enough they were in there. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention when I was configuring the alerts to go to my cell phone. I'll check the SQL server over the weekend and see what happens now that I've turned off the syslog alerts.

Thanks,

Joe B