This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need to do a mass update of community strings

I need to change the community string on a long list of nodes so that IPSLA operations can be configured on them. Unfortunately, the discovery process discovered those nodes with a RO string first, so that's the way they appear in the Orion database.

What is the easiest way to change all of those nodes to a RW string? Can I run discovery again? Should I make mass changes in DB Manager, or should I do this in Node Management? If I do it in node management, is there a way to display only the nodes that have a certain string so I can select all of them at one time?

I should have performed a network discovery with only the RW string first, so that all those nodes would be in the database using that string, agreed?

Thanks for the help.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Go to Manage Nodes and select all the nodes you want to change.  Click edit properties.  On the next screen click the SNMP check box, change the community, click submit.

• If you are SQL savvy you can do the following as well....as always, back up your DB prior to having any fun...
    to test prior to...use select instead of update/set
           select * from Nodes where RWCommunity = ''

BELOW will set the RW community for ***ALL*** Nodes
    xxxxxx = your RW community string

update Nodes
    set RWCommunity = 'xxxxxxx'

if you want to only do ones that don't have RW string set add:::

where RWCommunity = ''