cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 15

Need a select all feature per node (Network Sonar Discovery)

Jump to solution

Unless I'm missing something there doesn't appear to be a select all within a specific node on the Network Sonar Discovery page to either import all or ignore all (interfaces, volumes)  

Here is what I am looking for.  I have a switch that has upwards of 300 interfaces.  I need about 280 of them ignored as they are user ports which we do not monitor.  For me to ignore these I have to individually click on each one and then go ignore (luckily I have already had my carpal tunnel surgeries).

Is there not a better way to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

This is just an example and very blunt, but it should de-select any visible checkbox on that discovery page:

I've only tested this with Chrome and Firefox, but follow these steps:

1) Create a new bookmark in the browser
2) Name it "Deselect" or something
3) For the location, enter the following:

http://www.jspaste.com/?id=340 (this forum plays safe and filters javascript, so copy from there).

It should look like this in Chrome

:

4) Save the bookmark and navigate to the discovery page
5) You might have to expand the interface/volume list, but once you see the list of selected objects just select your 'Deselect' bookmark and it should deselect everything. 

Its just a proof of concept and like I said very blunt, but if you know JavaScript you could expand it to perhaps filter the names and such.  If you wanted to select everything, change the checked=false at the end of the line to checked=true.

Hopefully give you an idea anyway, and save your fingers 🙂

If you wanted, you could also edit the local HTML page and write your own button into the HTML source and use jQuery to do more funky stuff - but that would definitely not be supported by SolarWinds and would be something you'd have to keep track of through upgrades etc.  Then again in the next version it might be available, and use the bookmark thing in the meantime.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Level 11

I'm a little confused where on the UI you're trying to do this.  Can you explain more?

When you "List Resources" for a node you have the option of selecting All, None, All Active Interfaces, All Volumes, All Interfaces:

Although it doesn't look like it, the green tick and text are buttons you can click.

In your situation I think I'd select "None", then select the interfaces needed, then any other volumes or CPU/Memory options etc.

0 Kudos

I'm a little confused where on the UI you're trying to do this.  Can you explain more?

When you "List Resources" for a node you have the option of selecting All, None, All Active Interfaces, All Volumes, All Interfaces:

Andy,

I'm referring specifically to the network sonar discovery not the individual node list resources page.  The problem is I have about 500 access switches and each of these has upwards to several hundred ports that I simply do not wish to monitor.  If I do not selectively ignore them I have to see them in my discovery results page and have to sort through to find the core switches (same model) for the interfaces I do care about.  Ignoring them prevents them from showing up on future discoveries which allows me to show only the devices I do care about.

0 Kudos

Andy,

I'm referring specifically to the network sonar discovery not the individual node list resources page.  The problem is I have about 500 access switches and each of these has upwards to several hundred ports that I simply do not wish to monitor.  If I do not selectively ignore them I have to see them in my discovery results page and have to sort through to find the core switches (same model) for the interfaces I do care about.  Ignoring them prevents them from showing up on future discoveries which allows me to show only the devices I do care about.

Hımm. Then I misunderstood you. Anyway this problem also exist in the node management. 🙂

0 Kudos

Hımm. Then I misunderstood you. Anyway this problem also exist in the node management. 🙂

Not your fault I just reread my initial post and realized nowhere did I say it was in the network sonar discovery.

0 Kudos

Here is a further clarification that really shows the massive nature of this problem for me.  This is a small excerpt of about 10 devices from our network discovery.  On each of these access switches there is a very small number of ports that I care about.  The rest of them I would prefer to be ignored from future discoveries so that they don't clutter my screen when looking for interfaces and devices I truly care about (There are about 500 switches in the environment)

As you can see I have to go into each one and click several hundred times to ignore all of the interfaces I don't care about in order to prevent them from showing up from future discoveries.  Truth be told if there was even some selective filtering that could be done it would be helpful because our uplinks are always named.

0 Kudos

mdiskell,

Are these switches uses virtual chasis? 4200 switches normally has 24 or 48 ports.

0 Kudos

Yes our access switches are in a stack...adding the physical interfaces, the logical interfaces, the VLAN interfaces, and the volumes the list becomes quite staggering.

Luckily I have already had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists so I have that going for me...which is nice 😄

0 Kudos

Ah, I see what you mean now.  That would indeed be very annoying...

I have an idea though... will test it locally.

0 Kudos

This is just an example and very blunt, but it should de-select any visible checkbox on that discovery page:

I've only tested this with Chrome and Firefox, but follow these steps:

1) Create a new bookmark in the browser
2) Name it "Deselect" or something
3) For the location, enter the following:

http://www.jspaste.com/?id=340 (this forum plays safe and filters javascript, so copy from there).

It should look like this in Chrome

:

4) Save the bookmark and navigate to the discovery page
5) You might have to expand the interface/volume list, but once you see the list of selected objects just select your 'Deselect' bookmark and it should deselect everything. 

Its just a proof of concept and like I said very blunt, but if you know JavaScript you could expand it to perhaps filter the names and such.  If you wanted to select everything, change the checked=false at the end of the line to checked=true.

Hopefully give you an idea anyway, and save your fingers 🙂

If you wanted, you could also edit the local HTML page and write your own button into the HTML source and use jQuery to do more funky stuff - but that would definitely not be supported by SolarWinds and would be something you'd have to keep track of through upgrades etc.  Then again in the next version it might be available, and use the bookmark thing in the meantime.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Andy--

I am sending this over to our InfoDev for review to see if we can get your workaround in our KB.  Also notifying the PMs for consideration as something to improve the product.  Thanks for sharing!

DH

0 Kudos

Hi,

is there a solution for this issue already implemented or on the roadmap for a near future release?

I think this is a major topic lots of customers have with their network devices - we e.g. also have hundreds of voice interfaces on routers we want to ignore per one mouse click.

Currently you have to check every interface manually to ignore it which makes sonar discovery quite useless at the moment...

Thanks for attention,

Regards,

Herwig

0 Kudos

Holy Wonderous Workaround Batman!

Ok that may work but this code is deselecting...when I am ignoring I actually need to select them(I can easily uncheck the ones I don't want because they are so few)...Can you alter the code for selecting?

I know nothing of javascripting (I'm just really figuring out SQL if I try to figure javascript out right now my brain will melt and drip out from my ears)

0 Kudos

For selecting, if you scroll to the end of the line you'll see it currently says checked=false, just change that to checked=true for select all.

Great thanks!

Last question....unfortunately when you look at the discovery results you see not only the new elements but the elements you have already imported...any way to get it to match only the new?

Here is a short excerpt...I would like to try and avoid accidentally checking any existing boxes and only select those labeled as new with the scripting.

0 Kudos

Well upon further review although it does select the interface checkboxes it appears to break something.  

After the boxes are selected and go to chose add to ignore list I get an error message that says please select net object first.

The page itself looks ok but something is breaking and the ignore doesn't function.

0 Kudos

OK I'll need to do some testing then, it might be doing something else on the click.

0 Kudos

Ah the page actually does some other stuff on the physical click.

This uses the jQuery library to emulate the click. 

http://www.jspaste.com/?id=341

Use that on the bookmark instead of the other big one.  First time you run it, it will select all NEW objects (properly), and if you run it again it will deselect.

Ah the page actually does some other stuff on the physical click.

This uses the jQuery library to emulate the click. 

http://www.jspaste.com/?id=341

Use that on the bookmark instead of the other big one.  First time you run it, it will select all NEW objects (properly), and if you run it again it will deselect.

That is absolutely awesome...just ignored about 400 interfaces on 5 nodes in 6 clicks (one each to expand and one to ignore).  I checked the discovery ignore list to assure only these devices were ignored and we are good.  

Someone send that man a Solarwinds T-Shirt  

Andy my sincere thanks.....as to the Solarwinds developers hopefully this can be done within your system in a future release as I'm sure a javascript workaround is less than ideal for most users but I am completely content with doing it.

Mdriskell--

It is being reviewed as we speak.

Thanks,

DH

0 Kudos

0 Kudos