This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM with others in separated servers

Dears,

I have a NPM 11.5.2 latest version now, and want to install NCM, NTA and VNQM each in a separate server and all integrated, also the Database will be in a separate server. is it available of all or one of them to be separated ? . because the deployment is large.

And if i installed additional pollers for each, what will be the deployment options.

Best regards.

• There will be no problem in separating the SQL server, and for large deployments is considered best practice to do so.  You can find information about that starting on page 48 in the NPM administrators guide located here.

Looks like NCM is able to be placed in a standalone server, but confirm the requirements and needs using the NCM administrator's guide starting on page 28.  Link to the guide.

As for NTA, it is not recommended to install it in a separate location and the performance gained is completely negligible.  Page 41 of the NTA Administrator's guide explains it better than I can.  Here's the link to that.

Lastly, for VNQM, the Administrator guide doesn't go into too much detail about separating the instance, but it appears as though you're able to (but don't quote me on that).  There's mention of using additional web consoles/polling engines so to me that would mean you can separate the installation safely.  But take a look at the administrator's guide starting on page 34.  Link is here.

If you've got active licensing for these software titles, perhaps a quick call to support can clear it up further and get you some definitive answers for VNQM.

Hope that helps a little.

-Brandon

• You mentioned that you want the products integrated, if you are looking to do that then you will need to install NPM, VNQM, NTA, & NCM all on the same polling engine.  The SQL database can & should be separate.  Otherwise they can run as standalone products, but they will not all be integrated into the same website.  Hope that helps!

• You can install NCM and VNQM separate but there would be no integration at all.  You cannot integrate NCM with an orion platform product installed on a separate host (this is in the manual), this also means you would have another database instance to take care of on your SQL server.  The very first requirement in the manual for NTA is the appropriate NPM version hosted on the same server. Also If NTA receives traffic from sources that are not in NPM it will show that traffic as unknown, these two need to be integrated. Even NTA's licensing is dependent on NPM, the licenses count of both products have to match, so if you have unlimited NPM licenses you have to purchase unlimited NTA. VNQM can be separate but again no integration.

One of the nice things about solarwinds is the single pane of glass, they continue to improve on this.  You would lose more than you would gain if you could do this, for instance alert and reporting functionality.  Every time you integrate a module such as NCM into the Orion core it adds reports and alerts for those modules and the other modules do not have the same web reports and alerting that NPM does. Your best bet is to install all the Orion modules onto a single host and add pollers as needed. 

• Thanks, that helped me alot.

• Thanks, that helped me alot.

• Looks like all links are outdated now.