This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM optimal poller arrangement

I work for a financial institution. We monitor network devices like routers, switches, firewalls and servers with NPM and related products. We operate and unlimited license and currently have around 1200 to 1500 network devices. When servers are added it increases to around 3700 devices or so.

Originally we divided Orion between our two data centers with an instance in each data center, dividing the devices between the data centers around regional lines. Right now the node count is around one third polled out of one data center and two thirds out of the other. In addition to the main pollers we have two in one data center and three in the other. The former instance has around 9400 assigned objects and the latter 18000 assigned objects.

Originally we set it up to spread the polling around and not to over burden Orion with two primary instances as well as managing the polling bandwidth. However, we are interested in possibly using one primary instance with multiple pollers out of one center or the other.

I'm interested in how other comparably sized groups have arranged their polling engines and how they perform. Also what the requirements are in terms of server resources and are you using virtual or physical servers.

• ‌hi

I think it's will be much more easy to help you out if give more information about your network environmen.

I have a   10000+ elements 2000 nodes 8000 intefaces

3 polling engine on NPM 11.1 NCM 7.3

NO Problems if you keep your eyes on the system

look on that video it will help you understand how to scale the system.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SdUJ47f463w

• We have 7500+ nodes using 8 additional polling engines.  We do not use primary for active polling.  We are running at 64,000 total elements.  I don't think you would have any issues with consolidating instances with your numbers.  The main concern when consolidating or running a single large instance is your database instance.  Make sure the DB instance has plenty of resources (memory, CPU and Disk I/O).  A lot of folks recommend using a physical server for the DB instance.  I am impartial on that at the moment.  Our DB instance as well as all the other servers in the orion installation are virtual and running pretty good so far.  Our additional polling engines are 8 cores and 8GB of RAM.  DB instance is 16 cores with 32GB of ram.  Primary is 6 cores and 10 GB of ram.

• We have five polling engines. One primary in each site. One site has two additional polling engine, the other site only one additional engine.

There are two SQL server clusters, one in each site. The smaller site services around 10K elements and 1300 nodes with 7K interfaces. The larger site has 19K elements with 2500 nodes and 11K interfaces. What we would like to do is to move all the "network" nodes to one polling group and all the "server" nodes to the other polling group.

On the other hand, we could consider consolidating to one primary poller with additional polling engines located in the larger data center. The issue is that you have to go to different polling groups for nodes. Some "network" nodes are on one and some on the other and the EOC hasn't really worked well for us. The other is that we have different groups who want to see different things. The whole installation used to be more "network" centric as in routers, switches and firewalls, but has become more "server" centric due to a change in the group managing the monitoring.

I'm looking for solutions or alternatives.