This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM newbiew question

I've been playing around with some of the alerts, but didn't find this option. I would like an alert to be generated if NPM cannot successfully poll a device IP after two polling intervals with X amount of failed retries with each interval.

I was also wondering for devices like access switches, if the switchports can be monitored, but not indicate an event everytime the switchport goes down? I'd still like it monitored though for useage/errors stuff like that

• There doesn't seem to be a seperate distinction between "retrys" and "trys".  The way I currently do this is to set the polling I want on the device, then build the alert to not fire until X minutes have passed...

If my polling is every 5 minutes, and I want 2 failures, then I set it for 10 minutes.  If it's every 3 minutes, and I want 5 Failures, I set it for 15, etc etc.  There's no way to say "Poll this every 10 minutes, but if you get a failure, retry every 1 minute until you get a success and let me know on 5 failures."

Would be nice to have, but it's not in there that I can see...

As for the switches, set up a custom property for the items you DON"T want alerted for, then build a condition on your alerts... i.e. if Port Status = Down and Property != Don'tCare, then alert...

That make sense?

• Thanks! Sorry for the delayed reply, but haven't been able to play with it much the last couple days. I will try it this morning and let me know if I can figure it out. I downloaded the admin guide from Orion to help me along

• Gojericho0,

Sounds like you might be looking for some Orion training options. I took a class from a company called Corona Technical Services that was excellent. The instructor was very knowledgable and took the time to personalize the presentation and labs as much as possible so I could really use what I learned.

Check the company out if you are in the market. They can even come to you if you want to save on travel and have mul;tiple people to train.

• I'm trying to get some training approved.

Would someone be able to look at the following alert and let me know if it will alert perform an action meeting the conditions that the Node name begins with SW_ and Solarwinds unable to poll within a time period greater than 2 minutes

Field Node Name is equal to SW_*

Poll Interval is greater than 2

Thanks!

• The Field Name should probably use "contains" rather than "is equal to", and the time should be expressed in seconds (120) instead of minutes.

• When you use "contains" you will also want to remove the * unless your hostname actually contains a * since "contains" will automatically throw the wildcards on both sides of your text.

• My team also need some begin training on Alerts and creating Maps.

emmab

• The NPM Admin Guide may be the best place to start: Orion Network Performance Monitor Documentation

Loop1 is a SolarWinds partner that offers formal training as well: SolarWinds Training Classes | Loop1 Systems, Inc.