This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM logging in and out of ESX host filling Event logs in vCenter

I have setup NPM to monitor two hosts and our vCenter.  Now on the two hosts when I check the events in vCenter I see the root account logging in and out every couple of minutes.  It is happening so often it is filling the event logs with nothing but those and I cannot view any other events happening on the hosts.  Is there a way to stop this?

• Have you tried just setting the hosts to be polled via vCenter? Alternatively you can adjust the polling interval for the hosts to be something like 10-30 mins if you want.  This can be done by selecting the node and then clicking on 'Edit Node' in the Management details section and adjusting the screen as shown in the screenshot to something else.

Hope this helps emoticons_happy.png

Capture.PNG

• I have tried monitoring just the vCenter but I don't see all of the data from each host.  For instance it isn't showing any of the VMs in the environment or hardware health of the host.  I only see the interfaces and network utilization for those interfaces on each host.

• Using vCenter polling you should be able to see all of the VMs on each host (I'm not sure how much, if any of the hardware monitoring you will get of the hosts though). Have you assigned vCenter polling to your nodes via the visualization tab and entered vCenter credentials into the VMware credentials store?

• I have each host set to poll through the vCenter setting in the Virtualization Tab.  Does that need be set for each VM on the hosts?

• I removed the vCenter and hosts that I added through Network Sonar Discovery.  I added the vCenter back in using the Add Node option and am now adding the hosts back in through Virtualization Management.  When I add the hosts this way it is seeing the VMs or more hardware data.  I will see if this gets everything I am looking for.

Thanks.