This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM issue with 1 'inside' NIC and 1 'outside' NIC

Hi guys,

I stumbled into this issue that i've tried to fix in several ways, alas without good results.
I'm running out of ideas so i hope you can approve of these last two fixes i have left.

The setup:

Physical server 1 - Orion NPM, NTA. Two NICs, one with an external IP address and one with an internal LAN address. Not a member of a domain.

Physical server 2 - SQL DB. Not a member of a domain.

The issue:

On physical server 1, only one gateway can be configured due to the MS IPstack limitations. This, i strongly assume, is causing connectivity issues with the SQL server. The outside NIC is there because it is the listener port for NetFlow connections and also the link to the outside world for polling global nodes. No MPLS or VLAN is being used. The inside NIC is being used for connectivity to the SQL server. Now, when running Configuration wizard, it fails close to the end with a statement saying that the connection was lost and that it couldn't connect to the SQL server. At initial confwiz startup, too, the delay is very evident but does start after some wait.

I have checked the SQL hostname and networking setup and all seems to be standard. Seems to be but i can't figure out how to reset the binded addresses just for good measures. This is also one the issues. How to reset the SQL hostname and networking params to default.

The fixes so far:

Previously, connectivity to the SQL server was done through a crossover cable but that is no longer a viable solution. The SQL server has been reinstalled, new OS and SQL 2008 R2. Tried running Configuration Wizard with both SQL hostname, hostname/instance, SQL IP address but nothing seems to create a "stable" connection.

What is missing in this picture? Can Orion be configured to use both NICs, an inside to connect to SQL and an outside to poll and listen for NetFlow? What are the steps required to create a working setup given these circumstances?

My last two options are to disable the outside NIC, configure the inside NIC to have a gateway address, run Configuration Wizard and once done, then enable the outside NIC and grant it the only gateway address as required for connectivity.

TIA