Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

NPM issue, node showing down status, however it is up and pingable

Jump to solution

Hello All

I have issue with NPM, some nodes having  a down status, however they are up and pingable, I pinged them from the CMD on the solarwinds server  and they were pingable, also I pinged them from the solarwinds Engineering tool set and again were pingable. I tried to unmanage the nodes and remanage them with the same results, unmanaging  and deleting  the nodes then adding them again also still down (red) and the alert was triggered.

I am managing them using ICMP only.

What would cause such behavior??

Thanks in advance.

Anas

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 17

It could be the payload that NPM is using for ICMP. Some devices in the path may not like it

Some related info

ICMP Packet Payload

ICMP-Only node failes but online

You can modify the payload from Settings -> Polling Settings -> Network -> ICMP Data

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Level 9

hello all

Thank you for your replays, sorry of being late i was unable to attend work, yes it was the ICMP Packet Payload

many thanks

Anas

0 Kudos
Level 17

Are these dynamic or static IP assignments?  Are you trying to monitor just with the IP or are you monitoring via a hostname.  If these are potentially dynamic, I'd recommend going into Polling Settings and uncheck the option to do reverse DNS lookups.  This may help part of the issue.  The next thing I would look at would be the Collector Services, and see if a service restart helps with the issue.

Good points mharvey. Also, where are these problem devices relative to the NPM server? Are they within the same LAN or would the ICMP query traverse any firewalls?

Level 17

It could be the payload that NPM is using for ICMP. Some devices in the path may not like it

Some related info

ICMP Packet Payload

ICMP-Only node failes but online

You can modify the payload from Settings -> Polling Settings -> Network -> ICMP Data

View solution in original post

Quick question,

Under Settings -> Polling Settings -> Network -> ICMP Data, I see "Solarwinds Status Query"   should this be changed to a numerical value ?

Thanks!

That's the string to change. You can try a different string length. Change the word Query to say Query1