cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

NPM doesn't recognize my Ruckus APs

According to the NPM Admin guide, if I add my Wifi APs as nodes NPM will magically recognize them as Wireless APs and treat them as such. I have successfully added my Ruckus ZoneDirector and APs as nodes and monitored a couple of interfaces on them (and they are not "unknown"), but nothing ever showed up in the "Wireless APs" section. Does NPM only recognize certain brands of Wifi equipment? I would hope that stuff as high-end as Ruckus would be included... but apparently not.

I then thought maybe I needed to add a "Universal Poller" for my APs, but quickly got completely lost in the admin guide on the section about MIBs and creating a poller. Apparently you need a degree in SNMP to work some of this stuff!

Any advice appreciated!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Level 8

Tried it and it works great. Woot!

Level 17

For those following this thread - Ruckus support has been introduced in 10.7 RC, now available in your customer portal (if under active maintenance.)

hi guys, we are looking for SNMP walks for Ruckus WL APs - ideally with firmware 9.4 or hire. can you help here and send it to michal.hrncirik@solarwinds.com?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Any status on this situation with native support for Ruckus equipment?

We have 4000+ Ruckus AP's, including 7363's, 7343's, 7942's. and 2942's, as well as 100+ ZoneDirectors.

I've seen in MIB Browser in Universal Device Poller that all the MIBs for Ruckus are available.

Not being able to take advantage of the wireless management elements of SolarWinds when none of these devices are recognized as anything other than generic nodes is extremely frustrating.

This request is a year old and I hope it is getting some attention, please. Is there work in progress?

0 Kudos

Any movement on this? We're still waiting.

0 Kudos

We are still watching the requests (I added your vote).

To the above comments, we have a much wider support than Cisco: Aruba, Meru and more recently, we added HP Procurve MSM.

Ruckus is definitely on the list of wireless controllers that we are watching closely, but we have not made a decision about it, yet.

Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos

We spend a lot of money per year on Orion. At the same time we are heavily

invested in our Ruckus wireless infrastructure. At the rate things are

going, we're only going to get more invested in that infrastructure.

I just spent $5000 renewing our support contract for this year.

Since Orion isn't meeting our needs in this area we are forced to evaluate

other options in the coming year and may have to move to another monitoring

solution if we don't see anything by next summer.

I know we have spent a lot of money buying into Orion. I think a lot of

people wouldn't pull the plug because if that. But we spent way more money

on KACE and pulled the plug on that when we decided it wasn't doing what

we needed.

I don't mean for this to sound like a petty threat, because it's not. I'm

just trying to communicate to you as a customer what our thinking is, how

important it is to us to have Ruckus support, and why we may not renew next

year.

Jamie

Thanks,

Jamie McParland

Technology Supervisor - Newberg Public Schools

Office - 503•554•5026

Visit our blog for how tos and Tech news.

http://www.newberg.k12.or.us/tech/

Tech Help Desk 6:30AM to 3:30PM (503) 554-5044

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 6:16 AM, fcaron <

Hi Jamie,

we are currently in the process of creating a template for adding various Wireless devices/vendors. It would help me and the team, if you can send us SNMP walks from as many devices you could. This will be used as a validation of our "template" mechanism and significantly accelerate support for your devices. (michal.hrncirik@solarwinds.com)

thanks,

Michal

0 Kudos

We had this same conversation and I sent this information over a year ago

on 6/25/12. Check the screen shot.

I'm sending again.

Thanks,

Jamie McParland

Technology Supervisor - Newberg Public Schools

Office - 503•554•5026

Visit our blog for how tos and Tech news.

http://www.newberg.k12.or.us/tech/

Tech Help Desk 6:30AM to 3:30PM (503) 554-5044

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM, michal.hrncirik <

0 Kudos

thanks for walks. we are working on adding a better support for Ruckus

0 Kudos

I have a feeling this will never change until SolarWinds starts using Ruckus internally for WIFI. Then they will decide it's worth implementing. Right now they appear to be a Cisco shop 😉

0 Kudos

Their affinity for Cisco might not be all that great either since NPM has recognized our Cisco ASA as a generic node.

I just went through the voting that was for previous controllers, and it looks like they added Meru, but that seems to have been a while ago.

0 Kudos

We are still looking for MIB walks. Could you guys send them to me please? It would speed up our implementation and validation process.

thanks,

Michal

0 Kudos

I sent the walks in today. Thanks!

0 Kudos

thanks all for your help!

0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm in the same boat man. 

0 Kudos

Unfortunately these much-hyped thwack forums seem to be a ghost town of questions without answers.

0 Kudos

haha.. yea I'm kinda feeling that way too. Calling them isn't any better. I called them 3 days ago and left a message and haven't gotten a call back. 

0 Kudos

Hi mcparlandj,

Did you see my response above? Who did you call?

0 Kudos

Hi,

The ruckus AP's are not supported by NPM (i.e. as wireless entities, of course, as noticed they appear as regular IP nodes). There is an enhancement request opened for that (49523). I have added your votes to it.

The UnDP can't help for the wireless page content, but you should be able to get more wireless specific content on the regular Node details page. Take a look at that Video on UnDP. True that it requires some SNMP skills, but this might help: http://www.solarwinds.com/resources/democenter/Orion/UniversalDevicePollerIntro/

All that being said, the Ruckus Wireless AP's are growing and if we decide to improve our support in the future, we could use:

- more info about the entities that you need: ZoneDirectors (wireless controllers) and/or the access points themselves (ZoneFlex devices, I think)

- some walks, taken with this procedure (you can email them to me): 

0 Kudos